Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Lunchbox All-Stars

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Fill in the blank:

Think outside the ____. Jack-in-the-_____. Tool _____.

Yes, we're talking boxes today. We're talking perhaps the most important box we deal with...the daily filling of it can impact mental capacities of those we hold most dear (okay, sure, that's a touch dramatic, I'll give you that, but I got your attention, eh?).

The lunchbox. The carrier of the kiddos' meal, the one that boosts their energy level til the end of the school each day. The one that probably, most likely, they don't eat as well because they are chatting or rushing to get out and run around the playground or studying for the spelling quiz coming up next period.  Right, we really have no control over what they chow on in that cafeteria, but we can control what their choices are and stock that lunch box with yummy-rific options that (fingers and toes crossed) they will want to fill up their bellies.

To make that happen, you need some items -- some are tools, some are food -- that rock, that entice, that do the lunchbox booty-shake. I call them my lunch box all-stars.

-- Tortillas. A mere switcheroo of what that slice of turkey or cheese bumps a regular lunch up a few notches to kinds of awesome.

-- Cookie-cutters in the shape of their initials or a mere "H-I" or "I Heart U". Having a sandwich totally personalized makes even the most "over-it" kid bust out into a grin.

-- Mini-me food. Baby carrots, small boxes of raisins, miniature crackers...kids love things when they are "their size."

-- Crazy straws. Nothing makes them want to suck down that yogurt smoothie faster than a funky straw.

-- A go-to healthy crunch. Studies say the act of crunching makes us want to eat more of that item (why you just can't stop at one chip, I guess). Find an option that is healthy but crunchy your kiddo loves...can be anything from cucumber slices, to lettuce to a decently healthy chop choice (we love our SoyCrisps, which adds a punch of protein).

-- Popsicle sticks. Jazz up the very day by sending kabobs for lunch. A few Popsicle sticks are the perfect to hold mini squares of turkey or ham or cheese or even super-small PB&J sandwiches stacked together.

What are your lunchbox all-stars? Share your kids' faves to munch in the cafeteria!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Imagesbybarbara

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM
We do lots of rice at our house. Wild rice too.
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM

fruits and veggies and nuts are my kids favorites

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Peanut butter sandwiches, chips, fruit, yogurt, cheese, pepperoni slices, crackers, fruit chews, raisins, granola bars, chicken nuggets, leftover pizzas, and tacos. Oh yeah and spaghetti n meatballs.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM

my daughter prefers to buy school lunches most of the time.  my little guy always wants a pb sandwich of some sort; on mini bagels, on graham crackers, pinwheels (on whole wheat tortillas), etc.  he loves fruit so he always has some sort of fruit; fresh, dried, cupped.  granola & cereal bars, nuts, pickles, & occasional fruit snacks also get tossed in.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Baked ziti, mac & cheese and tacos are my sons favorites.

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My son usually has leftovers.  My daughter won't be eating at school until next year.

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

we still only do snack and not a full lunch. either fruit or yogurt is what i send

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Sandwiches mostly :)

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the great ideas! 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Like the kabob idea
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)