kitchen organization/storage tips wanted!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 18 Replies
Our first house had a big kitchen with loads of cupboard and counter space. Since then we've moved three times and each place has had a smaller and smaller kitchen. I've already gotten rid of a lot of stuff and I need ideas for fitting things. Pics in replies.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Mobile Photo

We have a smaller table we can use in place of this one but I think it would actually take up more room since it's round and we are a family of 5. The fabric on the windows will eventually be sewn into curtains, lol.
I plan on putting a cute fabric drawer thingy under the counter to the right to hold some things.
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Mobile Photo

I took this pic standing on the stairs, looking into the kitchen through the half-wall thing. Under the drying dishes is a dishwasher (they don't ever dry if I leave them in it) so no cupboard space there. There's a double cupboard under the sink, and a single cupboard with a drawer above it next to the wall. Small bit of countertop there. On the right is the fridge, then a narrow single cupboard and small drawer, then the stove, then a double cupboard. I have two more big boxes to unpack and a couple little ones. Most of the food is stored in the pantry at the bottom of the stairs.
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Wow. I have no suggestions. That is small.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

That is pretty small.  Is there any space elsewhere where you could store the kitchen items you rarely use? 

Jessica79
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

When we moved from our house in PA to an apartment in OH, I got rid of a ton of stuff! Anything I had in duplicate that didn't get used (like one too many cookie sheets), appliances I didn't use, the surplus of cups/glasses we had, the surplus of dishes.

We're in a house again now, so we're not as cramped anymore and have the space again, but one thing I do is cut back on paper clutter and counter clutter. If you can keep that stuff down to a minimum it helps a TON!

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
At the bottom of the steps is a nook Which we set up a shelf in.

Quoting amyjane22:

That is pretty small.  Is there any space elsewhere where you could store the kitchen items you rarely use? 

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Right? I better not move again!

Quoting mrswillie:

Wow. I have no suggestions. That is small.
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

you could put a hanging pot rack over that divider counter

http://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Classicor-Series-Wrought-Iron-Oval/dp/B0000DJBIN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377714674&sr=8-1&keywords=pot+rack

Quoting heydooney:

Mobile Photo

We have a smaller table we can use in place of this one but I think it would actually take up more room since it's round and we are a family of 5. The fabric on the windows will eventually be sewn into curtains, lol.
I plan on putting a cute fabric drawer thingy under the counter to the right to hold some things.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I like that, thanks! Out pots are nothing pretty but that's very practical.

Quoting EbonySnow:

you could put a hanging pot rack over that divider counter

http://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Classicor-Series-Wrought-Iron-Oval/dp/B0000DJBIN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377714674&sr=8-1&keywords=pot+rack

Quoting heydooney:

Mobile Photo

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Could you put in shelf dividers to make more space?

Rev-a-Shelf Door Mount Spice Rack for Wall Cabinet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: