Group Home

Smarter Celebration: DIY Ideas and Labors of Love

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Sure, Labor Day just passed, but it made me stop and think for a minute about the amount of labor people typically put into celebrations, and into celebrating people they love. This is a great thing, to make people you love feel special, or just marking a special moment in time or family history with a fun party, or simple get-together. What really matters, after all, is the thought and love behind it all, and I think that sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that and feel like every celebration has to be a REALLY BIG DEAL and tons of work. The next time you are thinking of celebrating something, though, try remembering that your thoughts and effort speak volumes already, and a few simply DIY decorations, treats or favors will go a long way to show that. Here are my favorite DIY celebration ideas:

DIY invitations: You could just go on evite.com or Paperlesspost.com and send an anonymous looking invitation to people (or possibly to their spam boxes instead), but seriously, it's faster and much more heartfelt and fun to send a unique family photo and just mail people directly from your personal mailbox. Don't you think?

DIY cakes or cupcakes: I really struggle with baking, personally, but with so many ready-made mixes and frostings available, even including gluten or dairy free ones for people with allergies like my family, it seriously takes no more than a child to mix together a delicious, home-made treat that can be decorated in any number of fun and personal ways. And who does not prefer home-made? Even when my cakes are crumbly, people rave that they taste so much better than anything store-bought. And I know they are not lying because there is never any left!

DIY party snacks and food: Skip the pre-made items and just take some help from the store to whip up some super fast, easy, healthy and special party food, like chips with guacamole, bread or cheese sticks, mini pizzas, herbed biscuits, or wings with dip or BBQ sauce, and fresh fruit kebabs, just to name a few of my favorites.

DIY thank-you notes: Nothing says THANKS like a hand-made, hand written card. Whether you are thanking people for gifts they brought you or your kids at a birthday party, or thanking someone for inviting you somewhere special, taking 5 minutes or a little more to say thanks in your own words really makes people know how much you appreciate their gesture.

I ilke to browse websites like pinterest.com, realsimple.com, and marthastewart.com for inspiration and pretty, fun and simple ideas when I need them for any celebratory event.

Which celebration-related items do you "DIY"?

© iStockphoto.com/NthirtyoneL  

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

most parties, etc. I make the invites, food, decorations, etc.

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Usually just party ideas. Having two young kids I like to go all out for parties. LOL

mereinhart28
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually make everything for parties. 

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually do all food and decorations. Invites are online!!
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Birthday parties

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Not to sound stupid but what is DIY? LOL
AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Just kind of depends on holidays and what kind of projects we find.
mackiebugsmom
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I make cakes and cupcakes by myself, I also do cheap decorating.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I make invitations, decorations and thank-you's.

sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I always make the cakes and I try to decorate it to match the theme of the kids' parties.

We send out personalized thank you cards, including specifics about the gift the person sent and how the kids are enjoying them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80