Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: App Happy, Learning Through Technology

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

It seems that just about any kid is excited to learn and study when technology is involved. From websites to smartphones, tablets and even video games, there are so many new and exciting options for parents out there to share with their school-aged children right now. Here are some I have tried out or read about, which have been well reviewed recently:

Get your kids excited to study with apps like Mental Case, "the study app," which uses flash-cards to help inspire them, or through websites like funbrain.com, which provides games and tools for parents to make learning math and reading fun for little ones. For older kids, check out sites like mathplayground.com which provides fun, hands-on learning for 1st- 6th grades, and even offers algebra and geometry help. 

Scholastic.com recently put together this awesome list of top apps to help your kids read. I have been loving checking these out, and I am sure you and your kids will too: http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/article/developing-reading-skills/6-great-reading-apps-kids.

And you also might enjoy reading this article in which HowStuffWorks.com wrote up, in much detail, 10 wonderful apps to help your kids learn science. Some of these sound so cool, I want to get them even though my kid is way too young! Check out their info here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/tablets/10-ipad-apps-for-teaching-kids-about-science.htm#page=1

And last but certainly not least, to help keep yourself happy through the busy back-to-school time, check out the iRewardChart, an award-winning iPad app that aims to motivate kids to help out with chores and taking responsibility by giving them rewards for a job well done, like "one hour of TV" or "allowance money." Parents can easily keep track of kids progress, and their rewards, without relying on a boring old sticker board. (I know my little one loses interest in THAT thing after 1 day; I've tried it about 9 times!)

Do your kids use websites and apps to learn? Do you have any to share?

© iStockphoto.com/pressureUA  

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome thanks for the info. I love the Letter School app on iPad!!! It has gotten my son into wanting to write letters and I couldn't be more excited! I love Monkey Preschool and Dr Panda games. Also love the Scholastic apps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Their school has some websites that they can work on their spelling words and math with.

The kids also have the states app and really enjoy learning about states with it. They know all 50 states and where they are located now.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes my daughter uses websites to learn and do her homework on. My DD is in the 3rd grade and instead of sending home regular homework assignments, but daughter has to read for at least 15 minutes and do math work at least 15 minutes per night which is 30 minutes if homework. Of course we have been doing more. They want the kids to start taking responsiblity to do their own assignments and they get choose to what they do for their homework. I have never heard of this before and this is the first year all the 3rd grade teachers are doing this. Thanks for the info!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

tyfs, we use jumpstart, abcya.com. anything free

nickjr.com

pbskids.com

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Cool!  Thanks!

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the info.. i am always looking for ways to keep them entertained while learning. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I need to get some of these for DS.

We are big fans of the Monkey Preschool games for learning apps.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll have to look into these.  Thanks!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing...WIll have to go check them out..My kids don't have any gadgets that require apps..Been debating on whether or not to get them..We'll see..

Jillysmom
by Adele on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd love funbrain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN