Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Top Tips for When YOU Get Sick

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

I was popping into a local drugstore the other day and saw it. A yellow sign with huge black letters: FLU SHOTS available now! Yup, though we are still donning shorts, it is upon us. Kleenex season. My daughter isn't back at school for another week, but then as all of those kiddos wipes noses and then share those Legos and touch doorknobs and so on, well, germs get passed around faster than a football tossed from Drew Brees to Jimmy Graham (yes, forgive me, we are knee-deep in fantasy football in our house these days).

It is something that I don't look forward to - that first wave of illness after a few weeks of school. I don't look forward to it because, 99.9% of the time, I succumb to the power of those little invisible virus-carrying gremlins. It is not good for anyone when Mama gets sick, right? We take much longer to get better because we don't do the things we should when we get sick...like rest and drink liquids and so on. We don't because we try to keep going like we aren't sick. Which is basically just giving those germs more energy to keep the ickiness in our bodies.

What's a mom to do when she's sick? I wanted to know too, so I gathered the top tips for all of us!

-- Ask for help. I know, many of us aren't good at this, but when you are stuck on the couch and can barely get to the bathroom, let alone get to preschool pickup, you need to ask for help. Ask if your kiddo can hitch a ride home with the neighbor or her BFF and follow up after you are better with a thank you and reminder you'd love to do it in return.

-- Let stuff go. Doing laundry, making beds, even home-cooked meals, one-hour TV time limits. When you are down for the count with the flu (especially the stomach flu), this is the time to let usual stuff slide. It's not a big deal if they have a Dora the Explorer marathon for a day and eat pizza while you rest.

-- Make lists. Maybe for your mom who is pitching in for a few days or for your husband who usually doesn't do ballet class, make a few lists so you don't have to be in constant reminder mode and they don't have to bother you.

-- Plan ahead for sick days. This was a great hint I found, especially for those moms with toddlers. Have a stash in your closet of new toys - they can be small, a new coloring book, fresh playdoh, new puzzle or new little play figures or something. The "new" element goes a long way and is perfect to occupy kiddos when you need to be resting.

-- Watch the meds you take. It's good to help alleviate that throbbing stuffed-up head and sore throat, but some meds can make you really drowsy...not good if you know you have to drive to pick up the kids, ferry them to soccer practice, and then home.

-- Go to the doctor. If your sore throat doesn't clear up, if that cough persists, if you have a bad fever, go see your doctor. If you are really sick and need antibiotics, the faster you get on them, the faster you will get better.

Do you get sick when the kids head back to school? What are your best "Mama is sick" tips? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Smitt                 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Great reminders,
Thanks for sharing :)

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Definitely try to have everything near the couch so I don't have to get up as much.  lol  When I'm up, I usually back her lunch bag with some snacks she can help herself too, applesauce, a small bag of goldfish, a banana.  It saves me a trip everytime she wants something.  She can choose something from it. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
My dd is older now & getting more self sufficient. My dh will help with things if I am super sick.
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

TFS

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I RARELY get sick.

The school had a total strep outbreak last year. In one day, 105 students and 10 staff members were out with it....this is a SMALL school. I managed to not catch it. Both of my boys and DH got it. Me and the baby managed to get buy without.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Thes are good tips, though I'm dreading cold & flu season this year... My son's first year at the big elementary school. Yikes! I have to say that Dad is usually the one who gets sick from school germs, though.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I used to get sick every year, but I began to develop an immunity after about 5 years in the classroom.  Now we catch it sometimes, but usually through the food bank.  Those are good tips!  Resting and healing is very important. 

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

just try to take it easy!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM

try to relax with a cup of hot tea

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Besdes the colds, headache..Last year I came down with the flu..Last time I had the flu was 2010, the time before that was in 90 something...We don't get the flu shot...Nowdays since my girls are older, youngest is 6 almost 7 years old...I'll just stay in bed and let them have free days...   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN