Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bucks Bucks Bucks

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 38 Replies
My oldest daughter is in the first grade. She hates to study. I did not work with her like I should have last year and I feel horrible about it. I think if I would have done last year what I am doing now, she would at least be ok with studying.
So this year I have made cards fornher spelling words and sight words. I have 3 writting tablets. One for spelling, one for sight words, and one for sentences.
For every front and back page that she writes out of the 3 she will get 3 study bucks. When we go over her spelling words orally, she will get study bucks according to how she does. Like if she is actually trying or not.
I have also made spelling bucks. These are for when she starts taking her spelling tests. A 100 will get her 5 spelling bucks. 90-99 is 3, and 80-89 is 1. Anything below an 80 is no bucks and added studying without getting study bucks.
Study bucks are worth .50 cents real money.
Spelling bucks are worth $1 real money.
It is her job to keep up with her bucks. If she loses them, they are gone. She will have to earn more.
Saturdays I am going to take her to the store. She can either get something with what she has, or she can save them for something else
This will teach her to be responsible for her stuff, how to save and manage money, and that stuff is not free.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Adams_Rib
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Good idea! 

ashleymosq
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Thank you. She has responded to it very well too. Her spelling words for next week was in her binder when she came home on Friday. She already knows how to spell them all, including the bonus words. The only one she had any trouble with was August, but she has that one down now too.

Quoting Adams_Rib:

Good idea! 

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Thats awesome! That would make me study!

ashleymosq
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Lol. Thank you. So far she has responded to it very well. I am happy that it is also teaching her other things besides just trying to get her to study lol. 

Quoting momofsixangels:

Thats awesome! That would make me study!

angieluvsolivia
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Whatever works momma!

critter_boo
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Great idea. You could do a mini store at home too if u pick up items as you are out and about she can shop there
ashleymosq
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I thought about doing that too. I want her to see how much stuff costs at the store though. That way she can figure out if she wants to save her bucks, or just spend them on something cheaper.

Quoting critter_boo:

Great idea. You could do a mini store at home too if u pick up items as you are out and about she can shop there

ashleymosq
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

So far it is too. She got her spelling words for this week on Friday last week. She already knows them all even her bonus words. The only word she had any real issues with was August, and she even knows that one now.

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

Whatever works momma!

Mznaye
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM
This is an awesome incentive!!!!
ashleymosq
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Thank you. I got the idea from her teacher actually lol. Her teacher hands out candy bucks. They can earn them by turning in homework, having parents sign stuff and returned the next day. Then they can use them to get a reward.

Quoting Mznaye:

This is an awesome incentive!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)