Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Hook Me Up!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

As I (reluctantly) start thinking about the cooler weather ahead, and the wardrobe changes this necessitates for the whole family, from different sports equipment to various types of outer layers and even accessories like hats and scarves, there is one single item for your home which I consider a mom's best friend, and one of the ultimate home organizing items to help you through it all: HOOKS.

Hooks help keep things neat and clean (and off the floor). They help keep things accessible. They help kids learn to quickly and easily put away their own gear. They help kids quickly and easily learn to locate their own gear, so you can all get out the door faster. Hooks help keep your closets organized, and they also help keep your closets from being taken over by bulky fall and winter items, like big coats and jackets and bins of hats and scarves, which gives you more room for other stuff. Hooks can be hung on all different levels, with just a couple simple nails, so they don't ruin your walls but they DO make the most of whatever space you have. Hooks can help hide something ugly like old wallpaper, and can even add an interesting design and some new texture to a bland space, in addition to giving a wall a whole new purpose. Seriously, what's not to love here? And who does not need these?!

You can find basic hooks anywhere, and you can get creative and use many basic household items AS hooks if you wish to. But I've done a bit of hunting online, and found some really awesome hooks to inspire you, and to help you get organized and stay sane as you prepare your family's wardrobe shift and bust out ALL those raincoats, jackets, overcoats, umbrellas, vests, helmets, sports jerseys, school bags and much more, this fall:

Anthropology is one of my sister's favorite stores and they have a really fun hook selection ranging in price from $8 to $88. I especially like the idea of the letter style hooks for kids rooms or kids' clothes, (some of which are on sale for less than $8 right now) and the animals ones like the deer, the dragonfly and the dog are really beautiful to me, for any purpose really.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/search/search.jsp?searchPhrase=hook

This designer coat hook system aint' cheap but it's really cool too, I think, and it holds so much it may well be the only set of hooks you need for your whole family:

http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-hang-it-all.do?sortby=ourPicks

Some other nice hook ideas on sale at this same store: http://www.dwr.com/product/gym-hooks.do?sortby=ourPicks

http://www.dwr.com/product/series-one-peg-rail.do?sortby=ourPicks

And, don't forget that you can even hook up very large items, like bikes! Kmart sells the VersaTrack storage system, which you can hang your bikes on, or even a large ladder, if you are organizing your garage, basement or shed, for instance. Many stores like discount craft stores, dollar stores and hardware stores also have plenty of hooks for sale for very cheap, which you could alter with some color and a little creativity. No matter what type of hook you use, (or even if you just use some big old nails,) they will enhance your home by helping you and your family stay more organized, more neat, and more sane throughout the fall, winter and spring. Happy hook hunting!

Do you use hooks in your home? What for and in which rooms?

© iStockphoto.com/fullempty  

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM

We have a two rows of hooks right as you come in the door from the garage.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Just for coats...The pic reminds me of the pink snowsuits my girls have worn...Sooo long ago...(My oldest is 21 years old, my youngest is almost 7 years old..And 4 in between them..) 

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Yes. My daughter has one  on her wall for jackets, purses, bags etc. It's white with silver hooks

My son has a red over the door hanger thing for jackets, backpack

We have a silver  one over our door for my purses, hubby's backpack and some  jackets

By front door we have  a wooden one with brass hooks-it was here when we moved in. I would love to replace it. We put our jackets on it.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Yes, and we need more! We use them to hang coats, hats and purses.

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We use them to hang backpacks and jackets on.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM
We have them on our doors but I want to add some for coats & bags
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM
A few...bathroom, laundry room.
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Ya know .. we have no hooks in our house at all .. hmmm ..

Mznaye
by Jo on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
This is us too

Quoting bwsmommy:

Ya know .. we have no hooks in our house at all .. hmmm ..

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM
We have a whole section in our entry that includes hooks at kid height for hanging backpacks, coats, etc. We also use them for towels on the back of bedroom and bathroom doors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)