Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you wash your chicken before you cook? They say you shouldn't....

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 30 Replies

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/stop-washing-your-chicken-8C11067715

There's a video in the link that shows what happens when you washthe chicken.

Stop washing your chicken. Not only is rinsing your poultry before you cook ineffective at killing germs, it can actually spread them, Drexel University researchers say.

Via an animated "Germ-Vision" YouTube clip, the researchers show how the bacteria can ride on the misting water droplets, splattering the food-prep area in a 2-3 foot radius.

"Washing doesn't sanitize," said Dr. Jennifer Quinlan, an associate professor in the Department of Nutrition Sciences at Drexel University. She spearheaded the public awareness project on a grant from the USDA, which has for years advised against rinsing or soaking chicken prior to cooking.

The water molecules carrying salmonella or campylobacter bacteria, two of the leading causes of food-borne illness, aren't visible to the naked eye. Even a trickle of water can give the pathogens a means of locomotion through a process known as "aerosolization."

Instead, said Quinlan, just unwrap the chicken and stick it in the oven or on the grill. The only way to kill the bacteria is to cook the chicken thoroughly until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Health official advise following traditional procedures for avoiding cross-contamination as well.

Despite the risk, 90 percent of the population washes their chicken before cooking it, according to a survey Quinlan conducted. The practice appears to have been passed down from generation to generation. During the study's focus groups, the most common reason for why consumers chose to douse their poultry was, "that's how I was taught to do it."

Even Julia Child, and other big name cooks, have recommended it for years. "Just run the water right through it inside and out," said Child in an a clip from her old TV program 'The French Chef.' "I just think it's the safer thing to do."

Sorry, Julia, it's just the opposite. 

"Once you introduce water, you start to give bacteria a way to move around," said Quinlan.

But the habit may be hard to break for cooks who firmly belief in the power giving their chicken a bath before the barbecue.

"My response: try it once," said Quinlan. "Make your chicken without washing it once. If it doesn't taste any different, ask yourself, why are you washing it?"

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliesmom112
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I have never rinsed off my chicken 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I never rinse or wash my chicken because of the risk of spreading germs.
EbonySnow
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I don't rinse mine

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No I don't rinse off my chicken. Thanks for sharing.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM

sometimes

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I feel like it's going into an oven and the germs are getting killed anyway so does it really matter?

Even if people are eating raw chicken (gag) it wouldn't matter because they're eating raw chicken. 

It depends on what I'm making as to if I rinse it off or not. Whole bird? Giblets removed it gets a rinse. Pieces of chicken, no rinse. And then I bleach the ever loving shit out of the kitchen afterward so no germs.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I do it, I was taught to back in high school when I took my foods class. It's something that I have continued to do and always will.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Exactly! I'm constantly disinfecting my sink as well. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I feel like it's going into an oven and the germs are getting killed anyway so does it really matter?

Even if people are eating raw chicken (gag) it wouldn't matter because they're eating raw chicken. 

It depends on what I'm making as to if I rinse it off or not. Whole bird? Giblets removed it gets a rinse. Pieces of chicken, no rinse. And then I bleach the ever loving shit out of the kitchen afterward so no germs.

2lilmamas
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
I sure do.
Adams_Rib
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I do because it makes it taste better, not to wash off germs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN