Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Budget decor tricks for when the leaves change

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

I'm in a total state of "decoration envy." My sister is kicking off a major re-do of her abode. It needs it -- not only are there are some house repairs she's been meaning to do since she moved in, the whole home is screaming for a revamp. So, yeah, as I am in little one-bedroom rental apartment, I'm living vicariously through her these days as she tells me about shopping for paint colors and new shower curtains and couches.

We've been talking about how she's opting for basic neutrals that she can then add touches of little things to, to change in and out and add according to the time of year...a smart one, she is, my older sis. Design pros use this trick all of the time, as it allows you to keep the space fresh with new decor, without breaking the bank. Of course, just the thought of this all gets me giddy and I've been making lists for my sis with tips and ideas that can take her home -- or any home -- on a stylish journey into my favorite season: fall! (Can I get a boo-yah?)

-- Recover and reuse. Such an easy way to get into the season, when you have a neutral couch or chair, incorporate pops of color and texture with new pillow covers. For fall, you can't beat a deep red and brown combo or olive and gold. By using the same pillows year-round and just adding different covers, you are saving money each season. If you have stools or dining chairs with cushioned seats, revering those is simple and again, can transform a room with little dent in your wallet.

-- Round and round it goes. Again, so easy to transform, buying a great wreath, perhaps with white feathers as a base neutral to give texture, add simple fall elements, like orange flowers or pine cones or mini gourds. Even simply changing the color ribbon that hangs it is enough and so budget-friendly.

-- Display the goods. Whether on a mantle or an entry table or a buffet, have a collection of things you love each season. Keep it simple and elegant and multiples of the same thing but you can change it out as the season change.

What do you add to your home to get it "Fall ready"? Share pics of your budget decor!  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ sserg_dibrova 

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mznaye
by Jo on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

We don't do much to change our home for fall. These are some great tips

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Great tips,
We just put a wreath on our door :)

RandiBear
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I don't have any pictures, but what we do is take nature walks at the start of each season. We pick leaves, rocks, grass, sticks, etc and put them into shadowbox frames or paint a canvas and then glue them to it. Each seaon our pictures are similar, but different and reflects the interests of our family that season. Last spring, it was all greens. We collected moss and rocks for one shadowbox, leaves on twigs for another, pressed some wildflower stems in another, and my DS (3) found some little clovers for a frame that he really liked. It makes a great family activity and provides a teaching opportunity about the natural cycle of things for kiddos.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM

i've made pinecone ornaments w/a friend!

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Great tips! I have my football wreath on the front door with a silk yellow mum in the corner of the front porch. I have a few other decorations in the house. Not a lot tho.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I'm planning on making a few wreaths.  

mackiebugsmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Great ideas!
fraujones
by Amanda on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I don't do a lot of fall decorating other than getting some pretty pumpkins and leaves. 

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

We don't decorate seasonally except for Christmas.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

oh great tips ! and well i dont do as much as i should !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)