Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Celebrate Roald Dahl Day!

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

He introduced the world to one of the all time best baddies Veruca Salt. He's been called "one of the greatest storytellers for children of the 20th century". A favorite quote from him: A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Of course I'm talking about author Roald Dahl. He is a huge favorite in our abode - and almost every other abode I've been in. James and the Giant Peach was one of the first longer books we read to Kiddo, followed by the classic (and possibly most famous Dahl book) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

On Friday, September 13, it's Roald Dahl Day! How are you going to celebrate? Of course, you can read some of his fabulous tales -- perhaps ones you haven't tackled yet like The BFG or Danny, Champion of the World or some of his fantastic poetry in this Revolting Rhymes books.

A few other ways to commemorate this day? Pop some popcorn and watch a movie based on the genius stories Dahl invented. There are some excellent flicks -- from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory to Matilda to The Fantastic Mr. Fox (that's my husband's favorite, complete with the voice talent of the yummy George Clooney), you have plenty of high-quality films to chose from that almost do the books justice. 

Another option: cooking ala Dahl. There's a cookbook called Revolting Recipes, which tell you how to make some of the concoctions mentioned in his books. You can make Wormy Spaghetti as featured in The Twits or Strawberry-Flavored Chocolate-Coated Fudge as highlighted in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The main thing I'm going to do to celebrate Roald Dahl Day? Follow his advice on believing in magic: "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

Which Roald Dahl book is your favorite? 

©iStockphoto.com/ simonemascetti

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mereinhart28
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Thanks for sharing! :)

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Thanks, never heard of him.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Thank you. Like those books!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I love Roald Dahl! The BFG is one of our favorite books!
othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I love James and the giant peach and charlie and the chocolate factory

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

James and the Giant Peach.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

pure genius.  Love many of his books and movies...  we might watch a couple of movies this weekend.

batjmom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
My kids both like Charlie and the chocolate factory
Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I've never read any of his books...

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

We LOVE Roald Dahl! Our older son just told my MIL (a former teacher) that he's going to read The Fantastic Mr. Fox after he finishes what he's currently reading (The Wayside School by Louis Sachar). My husband read it to him when he was younger but now wants to read it himself. My favorite is probably James and the Giant Peach and my husband's is Danny, Champion of the World.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN