Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: How to create an awesome book nook

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, so the whole thought process went a little something like this: I was writing about Roald Dahl Day, which led to me thinking about reading, when went to Kiddo reading, which went to thinking about where she reads, which made me think of how cool it would be to have super-special, cozy, inspiring place to curl up...which brought me to Googling "book nook."

Yes, the book nook. Not only is it fun to say, it can be an awesome addition to your kiddo's room or, really, any part of the house. I'm intrigued to figure out how I can create a book nook of some sort in our apartment. With so many totally fabulous book nook ideas, I think I could do it. Even in our tiny one-bedroom apartment.

Modern Parents, Messy Kids has a whole round-up of awesome ideas to turn an under-used area into that ideal book nook. One option: take a small closet that perhaps doesn't have enough space to really store everything you need and switch it into a curl-up-and-escape-to-a-new-world hideout like this one:

Or just nab a little corner of the bedroom. When you add some cushions and shelves - bam - it becomes the go-to hangout for afternoon chill time.

Another favorite of mine: this one, with the script on the wall. It goes to show you that you don't need a huge amount of space (or even much more than books and a little paint) to make a fabulous find.

The main thing all of these spaces have in common: comfy seating, a way to house the books, and good lighting. I'd also add a special place to keep a journal and pen, in case she gets the creative bug going after reading some cool story. Another genius idea I spotted: using drapes to section off an area or even an indoor tent to give that feeling of coziness.

I'm doing it, folks, I am...especially because I want a place to curl up and read too!

Do you have a book nook in your house? Share pics of yours -- or one you would love to have!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Thinglass 

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-56):
Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I don't.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

These are awesome ideas. My daughter has a place she can read in her room, but not this. We really don't have the room for one, maybe when we buy a house. These are great ideas though. Thanks for sharing.

slw123
by Shawna on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Cute, I don't have any spare space or closets though.

Lilt111111
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Those are great ideas! :-)

squeekers
Today at 1:30 PM
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

where ever we flop is where we read.

bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Today at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I really would love a book nook ! i just dont see it happening until we get/build a new house !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN