Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Fall Birthday Ideas

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

So many birthdays in my family are in fall, so I think it's a really wonderful time to celebrate. The weather is often just right; not too hot and not too cold either, yet. People are not all off on vacation and are excited to be back home, getting settled into new school and work routines. And there is still so much you can do outdoors instead of having to think about only staying inside, as you mostly do in the winter and even spring, at least here where we live. Here are some fun fall birthday celebration ideas I have, and I would love to know if you have any more ideas to share too!

1) Have a fall harvest party. Try finding a pick-your-own farm and have the party there, or enjoy some harvest treats and games at home like making candied apples, or apple bobbing, playing the egg-on-spoon races, and playing other farm animal-related games like pin the tail on the donkey, duck duck goose, leap frog and doing the chicken dance. You could even hire a pony for pony rides, and decorate with some hay bales, to take it a step further, for example. If you have a garden, you can have each kid pot up a small pretty and edible fall plant like purple kale or rainbow chard.

2) Make cornhusk dolls with the kids. (And these don't all have to just be girly, mind you.) They can be cowboys or famer boys or princesses, or whatever male sort of doll your kids might want to play with. Here are some simple instructions from Teachers First: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/nativecrafts/cornhusk.cfm

3) Have a pumpkin decorating party. We did this at my kid's fourth birthday party, and because it was sort of Halloween-themed, and in October, we made it a costume party too, which all the kids loved. We got enough small pumpkins so each kid could have their own, and then we hid them in the garden. The first thing party guest needed to do was to go find their own pumpkin in the "patch". Then they could take it to the "pumpkin decorating station" which was a table covered in paper, with glitter glue and markers and stick-on eyes and other art materials. The kids had a great time, and it felt really special and festive, and they got to take them home at the end too.

What fun fall birthday party ideas can you share?

© iStockphoto.com/Bronwyn8  

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM
All our birthdays are after the New Year, thru spring till summer!
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

None!  I always get stumped on what to do since my daughter's birthday is in November!  I like the idea of pony rides, candied apples and animal themed games though my daughter wants a monkey theme!

Wish2Be
A mommy to the best little boy in the world !
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
by Michelle on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM

My son is going to have a Super Mario (his choice) Party ! We are going to have it at a really nice park by our house... in a huge Gazebo. I think it looks enchanted !

Its on October 20th so I hope it will be cooler than it was the other day (91 Degrees :( ).

Vertical15
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I'm not good at parties.  My 10yo wants one for his 11th in November.  We are thinking a Halloween theme and doing it on the first weekend in Nov, but we haven't decided yet.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM

both of my kids are in march.. and so far the weather has been nice enough to be outdoors..

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM

We have birthday's in January, February, July, and September. :)

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Quoting Wish2Be:

My son is going to have a Super Mario (his choice) Party ! We are going to have it at a really nice park by our house... in a huge Gazebo. I think it looks enchanted !

Its on October 20th so I hope it will be cooler than it was the other day (91 Degrees :( ).

Very nice! It is still hot here too in the high 90s. Ready for cooler weather. :(

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Cool ideas! Apple picking maybe for older kids. Having some food after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My kids have b-days this month,oct,nov and dec

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Our only close to fall bd is 9/1, and it is still blazing hot here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)