Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: No-bake Bake Sale Ideas

Posted by   + Show Post

Last week, we got an email with the latest version of the school calendar: when Curriculum/Meet the Teacher night is, when Winter Break is, the rundown of the PTA meetings. Yes, It has begun. My day planner and the Apple iCal are getting full...and it hasn't even entered Week 2.

When the days are so packed, even one little extra thing can trip me up. Anyone else with me on that? So, I've decided to thwart those tiny hiccups by stocking up and getting ready for them. First on that list: stock up on easy stuff I know I'll need. Like brown paper bags for those field trip lunches, extra treats to have on hand for homework energy boosts, and ingredients to make last-minute yummies for that bake sale I know I'll forget about. 

The thing about that last one...well, as has been well documented here on CafeMom, I'm not a good cook, let alone baker. So, I have to find recipes that even a not-so-great-in-the-kitchen mama can make. Imagine my joy when I saw the words "no bake" in front of these bake sale ideas! I know, how awesome is this? Here are a few I'm going to attempt.

Smores Rice Krispie Treats from SallysBakingAddiction.com

6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal 
1 bag (10.5-oz) miniature marshmallows 
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter 
1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker pieces 
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (or regular size chocolate chips)

Spray 11x7 baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Pour in the marshmallows and constantly stir until melted with butter. Remove the pan from heat and pour in the rice krispie cereal and graham cracker pieces. Mix together well. Add chocolate chips and gently stir - you want most of the chips to hold their shape and not to completely melt. Immediately press rice krispie treats into prepared baking pan. Use the flat side of a spatula sprayed with nonstick spray to flatten the rice krispie treats down evenly. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes and cut into 24 squares.

Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe from SavorySwetLife.com (ideal for that holiday bake sale)

1 bag of chocolate chips (any kind you like)
1 bag of white chocolate chips
24 mini candy canes, crushed *do not crush using a food processor - place candy canes in a zip lock bag and use a hammer to crush into small pieces

Line the bottom of a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.  Pour (brown) chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave chocolate chips in increments of 30 seconds stirring the chips each time until chocolate chips have completed melted and mixture is smooth.  Spread melted chocolate  as evenly as possibly into lined pan.  Place pan into freezer for 20 minutes.  Repeat the same melting process with the white chips.   While chocolate is still smooth, stir in half of the crushed candy cane mixture.  Allow the white chocolate to slightly cool for a minute.  Remove pan from freezer and spread white chocolate/crushed candy canes mixture on top of the chocolate layer.  Spread white chocolate as quickly as possible.  Top off with remaining crushed candy cane and gently pat down with the back of a spatula.  Return pan to freezer for 20 minutes.  Remove from freezer and gently lift the whole mixture from the pan with a butter knife.  You should now have a solid sheet of peppermint bark.  Remove parchment paper and break into pieces. Store any left over bark in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer. Enjoy!

Chocolate-dipped pretzels from Candy.com

1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1 tbsp shortening
2 dozen pretzel rods or large pretzel twists
Assorted sprinkles or small candies (optional)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)

Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. Combine the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and the shortening in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave until the chocolate is melted, stirring after every 20-30 seconds. When chocolate gets overheated it thickens and becomes unworkable, so watch your chocolate carefully! Take it out of the microwave when there are still unmelted chips remaining, and stir until the final chips melt. If dipping pretzel rods, hold a rod by one end and dip it in the chocolate, leaving an inch or two uncovered. If you are dipping pretzel twists, drop the whole pretzel in the chocolate and submerge it slightly. Use a fork to pull the pretzel out of the chocolate. Shake the chocolate-dipped pretzels several times to remove excess chocolate, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. If you are using sprinkles or small candies, sprinkle them on when the chocolate is still wet. Repeat with remaining chocolate and pretzels. Place the pretzels in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set the chocolate. If desired, melt the white chocolate and drizzle it over the pretzels for a decorative look. Briefly return the candy to the refrigerator to set the white chocolate before serving.

No Bake Golden Oreo Truffles from SallysBakingAddiction.com

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 package Golden Oreos or Regular Oreos, finely crushed (about 4.5 cups)
2 Ghirardelli White Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bars (8 oz total)
sprinkles

Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside. Chop up Oreos finely in a food processor or blender. Mix the crumbs together with the cream cheese until well combined. Shape into 40 (1-inch) balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze for about 30 minutes. (FREEZING the balls is the most important step of this recipe. If they are not mostly frozen, the chocolate will not coat the balls properly.) Chop up and melt the white chocolate bars according to the package directions. Dip the balls into chocolate and immediately top with sprinkles. Place back onto prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes so the chocolate sets.

Share your easiest no-bake (or bake) bake sale recipes! 

©iStockphoto.com/ RuthBlack 

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I must make these, they look wonderful

Quoting SweetLuci:

They are addictive!

Quoting charlene_kyle:

Those look delicious.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Oreo Truffles

1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz) Oreo Cookies

1 package (8 oz) Cream cheese softened

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted per package directions

or Chocolate candy coating discs

Crush cookies in food processor add softened cream cheese. Blend until completely combined. Remove to a bowl and store in refrigerator to completely chill (1 hour?) Remove and form into balls, teaspoon size or tablespoon size. (I like to use a small cookie scoop-like an ice-cream scoop, but smaller-so they’re all the same size-but that’s not necessary) Place on foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator again to chill, (1 hour), or place in freezer for about 15 minutes at least. Melt chocolate as package directs and dip ball in and replace on baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Put a small amount of chocolate in zip lock bag, melt in microwave (on 50% power or defrost), just until barely melted. Snip off a tiny corner of the bag and use it like you would a pastry bag to drizzle over top of truffles. Store covered in refrigerator.

Notes: I have used peanut butter filled Oreo’s, mint-filled, strawberry-filled, the vanilla Oreo’s and original Oreo’s. They are all good. If I make a variety, I try to use different coatings, milk chocolate on one, dark or white chocolate on another; and drizzle with different flavors. For mint-I cover with dark chocolate and drizzle with white chocolate with green food coloring added, or roll in crushed peppermint stick candies. For strawberry I used white chocolate covering with a drop of red coloring added to the drizzle to make it pink. I have also used sprinkles-these have to be added quickly after dipping, before the chocolate hardens so they will stick. You can also save some of the cookie crumbs and sprinkle these on top. There is also gold and silver dust that can be purchased at Michael’s or other places that have Wilton candy making supplies. I use the plastic gloves when rolling the balls and dipping in chocolate-it sticks less than it does to your hands.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yum!

mackiebugsmom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Those look delicious, Tfs :)
Ladyisis
by Jenn on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

These are awesome recipes. They sound good. I can always use a good no bake recipe. Thanks for sharing.

mlg1989
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Cookies and cream popcorn!

INGREDIENTS:

9 cups popped popcorn
20 Oreos finely crushed
24 oz. White Vanilla Almond Bark

INSTRUCTIONS:

--Melt white vanilla almond bark according to package directions until completely melted and smooth consistency.
--Drizzle almond bark over popped popcorn.
--Sprinkle finely crushed oreo crumbs throughout the popcorn to evenly distribute.
-- Then let almond bark set up and dig in!

--------------------------
You can always do individual bags of this and sell them!
Its extremely cheap to make!
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

They all sound good ! But I always bake I love to !

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

ooh thanks!

tiniowien
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My bark uses Oreos instead of chocolate 

slw123
by Shawna on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I'm not even that good with no bake goodies, lol.

fraujones
by Amanda on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Yum! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN