Smarter Family: Better Breakfasts

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Now that the days are getting cooler, and kids are back in school and engaged in all sorts of energy-burning activities almost all day long, it's a good time to rethink your breakfast menu and try to make it healthier, more filling, and more delicious. Here are some tips to keep in mind while you are consider how to create a better breakfast for your family:

Pre-packages items like granola and flavored oatmeal ARE much faster, but they are in fact often loaded with sugar. Sugar is not part of a "better breakfast," because it is not good for you in any way and it makes kids hyper so in fact, it wears them out instead of filling them with energy to last the whole day. Simple solution? Buy plain oats and use things like cinnamon, honey, maple syrup and lots of fruit as healthier, natural sweeteners that kids love.

Another tip is to just consider what it is your family loves to eat for breakfast, and find a healthier version to serve them. Whether it's Rice Krispies or just toast with jam, you can definitely find healthier versions of your staple breakfast foods like cereal or bread, in almost any store these days. Look for alternatives with more whole grains, less sugar (again), and the least amount of preservatives. It might take some time reading labels at first, so be patient, but once you find the brands you like, which are healthier for you and your family, it's a no brainer to making healthier and better breakfasts everyone will still love and enjoy just as much.

My third easy tip for better breakfasts is to just ADD more healthy ingredients to whatever it is you usually eat and serve. So even if it's something kind of unhealthy, throw in an extra serving of fresh fruit, a glass or milk, some crunchy nuts, or a fresh egg on the side. Adding fresh produce and healthy protein to any meal is always a great way to add flavor and lots of nutrition, quickly.

Do you have any simple tips for making breakfast better?

© iStockphoto.com/hlphoto  

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM
We do a lot of oatmeal when it gets colder my son could eat oatmeal any time of the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:00 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Cream of wheat is a favorite ;)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We like adding fruit to everything (yogurt, cereal, pancakes, etc).

wandep
feeling happy :)
Today at 4:37 PM
by Pam on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM

We enjoy fruit, grits, pancakes, eggs, and bacon for breakfast.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

My kids love when I make my pancakes.I make them the size of a dinner plate

jen113000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM
My friend does that lol. I was impressed she could flip them haha.

Quoting momofsixangels:

My kids love when I make my pancakes.I make them the size of a dinner plate

fraujones
by Amanda on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Add fruit! 

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM

we eat more hot breakfast foods when it get colder. We spice you our meals with fruit,/spices, 

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM

adding fresh fruit ... 

Sisteract
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Hard boiled eggs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: