In my honest opinion (smarter living)

Posted by   + Show Post
September is showing lots of wonderful degrees in the eastern part of USA (from the HOT 80's or 90's to cold cold cold 30's.)
In my honest opinion for my (smarter living), don't touch that heater yet. Better yet, grab & bring out some blankets (cold?) add a extra layer of blanket before touching the heater.
(keep some $$$$ in your pocket.)
Wear socks, maybe a long sleeve shirt & pj pants to bed to stay extra warm.

(kinda off topic, people in my city whine tht they're "bills are high" but when it's chilly out side they don't think "layer up" (save $$$$ in the pocket) no they think & show "ROAR UP THE HEATERS YA'll!" & lose $$$$ than whine they can't pay they're lights/gas bill.) *frown*

So my honest opinion, layer up, bundle up. Save the $$$$ in your pockets!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I agree. We'll be turning the air off after the weekend (it's supposed to warm back up tomorrow, but cool down again after the weekend is over) and there will be no a/c or heat turned on until the middle of November.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

good idea but we are on budget so it doesnt change the price month to month

powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Ouchies.
That is sad & must be painful & scarey too@ celestegood.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish we could do that here. My son has reactive airway disease, and one lung, small airways-its like a permanent, physical all the time asthma. I couldn't think of doing that and be in the right. He just couldn't breathe. Not to mention he's allergic to some trees, so that could hurt him.

Good for you, though.

Quoting lasombrs:

Wood stove :) why turn on my heat when I can burn downed brush and tree limbs from storms for free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Yep!  We kept our thermostat at 58 last year and bundled up in the home.  Saved a LOT of money. 

When we could barely afford our bills we didn't continue living at our normal level of comfort.  We made changes and bundled up or put less on.  :)  Kind of annoying when someone can't pay their heating bill and is asking for help and you haven't even turned your heat on yet.  (aside from the sick or elderly)

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

SoCal is usually well into the winter before it's "heater weather", but I'm the person who fires it up as soon as my feet are cold.The heating is the one thing I absolutely and passionately refuse to be cheap about. I would never be in 50's without the heater. My "heater weather" is mid-60's.  

Having to be restrained by too many layers or blankets in my own home annoys me to no end. I could never fall asleep if I wore that much clothing to bed. What little I save on heating is not worth what it costs me in patience and comfort, IMO.

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
we have a wood burning stove that we use. haven't fired it up yet though. also a hot water bottle or warmed bag of rice under your blankets at your feet is a great way to keep your bed warm and cozy in the winter.
powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Yes! Save $$$$!

Quoting celestegood:

Yeah, I enjoy that month or two of no heat/no air conditioning used....saves so much money!

Quoting yvonne37:

true.. my husband was about to turn the heater on.. i was like STOP.. why?  its just in the low 50s.. we can cover up and enjoy the coolness ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

It's in the 90s here still. :( Suppose to turn cooler but only in the 60/80s later this week.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Our bills always seem to be higher in September anyways because it's one of the hottest months of the summer here in Minnesota. Although it's nice and cool this past week so the air has been off, I'msure the heat will be on by next month unfortunately.

powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM
True, yes (with a wood stove the smoke goes up the chimney thingy & the ash not much but when you must clean the inside wood stove from time to time.)
Hopefully our mom isn't in the house when you clean out the wood stove.
But I think you have to clean it out maybe once a year or twice a year, to keep it going good.

Quoting lasombrs:

My mother had scleroderma in both her lungs and was on oxygen 24/7 they took out our fire place and put in a wood stove because the smoke and ash did not go into the air.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish we could do that here. My son has reactive airway disease, and one lung, small airways-its like a permanent, physical all the time asthma. I couldn't think of doing that and be in the right. He just couldn't breathe. Not to mention he's allergic to some trees, so that could hurt him.

Good for you, though.

Quoting lasombrs:

Wood stove :) why turn on my heat when I can burn downed brush and tree limbs from storms for free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: