Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In my honest opinion (smarter living)

Posted by   + Show Post
September is showing lots of wonderful degrees in the eastern part of USA (from the HOT 80's or 90's to cold cold cold 30's.)
In my honest opinion for my (smarter living), don't touch that heater yet. Better yet, grab & bring out some blankets (cold?) add a extra layer of blanket before touching the heater.
(keep some $$$$ in your pocket.)
Wear socks, maybe a long sleeve shirt & pj pants to bed to stay extra warm.

(kinda off topic, people in my city whine tht they're "bills are high" but when it's chilly out side they don't think "layer up" (save $$$$ in the pocket) no they think & show "ROAR UP THE HEATERS YA'll!" & lose $$$$ than whine they can't pay they're lights/gas bill.) *frown*

So my honest opinion, layer up, bundle up. Save the $$$$ in your pockets!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Well, good for you guys. My son is allergic to a few trees common for our area. If he breathes in the smoke from said trees, he cant breathe. Its very scary.
I have never known a person who used a wood burning stove that didn't smell like smoke all the time.

Quoting lasombrs:

My mother had scleroderma in both her lungs and was on oxygen 24/7 they took out our fire place and put in a wood stove because the smoke and ash did not go into the air.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish we could do that here. My son has reactive airway disease, and one lung, small airways-its like a permanent, physical all the time asthma. I couldn't think of doing that and be in the right. He just couldn't breathe. Not to mention he's allergic to some trees, so that could hurt him.

Good for you, though.

Quoting lasombrs:

Wood stove :) why turn on my heat when I can burn downed brush and tree limbs from storms for free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
It is scary. But such is life. He does ok most of the time.

Quoting powow65:

Ouchies.

That is sad & must be painful & scarey too@ celestegood.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish we could do that here. My son has reactive airway disease, and one lung, small airways-its like a permanent, physical all the time asthma. I couldn't think of doing that and be in the right. He just couldn't breathe. Not to mention he's allergic to some trees, so that could hurt him.

Good for you, though.

Quoting lasombrs:

Wood stove :) why turn on my heat when I can burn downed brush and tree limbs from storms for free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Its the only time of year that I don't cringe when I open up our utility bills. Lol

Quoting powow65:

Yes! Save $$$$!

Quoting celestegood:

Yeah, I enjoy that month or two of no heat/no air conditioning used....saves so much money!

Quoting yvonne37:

true.. my husband was about to turn the heater on.. i was like STOP.. why?  its just in the low 50s.. we can cover up and enjoy the coolness ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
My house is always cold during the winter we always bundle up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Our old place, we had ALL PLASTIC ON ALL ALL ALL THE WINDOWS! The walls it self was drafty & airy! (we'd watch our curtain fly when it was windy!)
It was just pure hell.

Quoting momma-flynn:

We need to replace the weather stripping on our back door. It's out only drafty place. I know that will help.

Quoting powow65:

That's what we did last yet, our bill was a (bit) smaller not much b/c the apartment was very drafty, airy & cold it self!

Quoting momma-flynn:

It's still way to hot here to even think about using the heater. We always set our heat lower to cut down on the bill when we do use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We bundle up although we use wood heat

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I did turn the heat on in our vacation home last Saturday night.  But we haven't turned it on at home, yet.  I also do the layer thing.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

yes today it was 51 and the house was 60 but we tested the heating system bc its old to make sure it would work but we turned it back off. I love the nice cool fall !

Laylasmom25
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Its warm here in the day time but at night time the temp is dropping we just bundle up with exrta balankets !!!

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It's still very hot were I live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN