Group Home

In my honest opinion (smarter living)

Posted by   + Show Post
September is showing lots of wonderful degrees in the eastern part of USA (from the HOT 80's or 90's to cold cold cold 30's.)
In my honest opinion for my (smarter living), don't touch that heater yet. Better yet, grab & bring out some blankets (cold?) add a extra layer of blanket before touching the heater.
(keep some $$$$ in your pocket.)
Wear socks, maybe a long sleeve shirt & pj pants to bed to stay extra warm.

(kinda off topic, people in my city whine tht they're "bills are high" but when it's chilly out side they don't think "layer up" (save $$$$ in the pocket) no they think & show "ROAR UP THE HEATERS YA'll!" & lose $$$$ than whine they can't pay they're lights/gas bill.) *frown*

So my honest opinion, layer up, bundle up. Save the $$$$ in your pockets!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
For babies & toddlers (& sick people) that's different, yes they have to stay warm.

Quoting Teeshann:

i don't think it's even got cold enough to trigger our heater yet. i felt cold last night so i turned the heater on. i have a sick baby and didn't want her getting too cold. i never heard it come on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Yes!
We bundle up!
I crochet so blankets & hats I make & I also make our pup a doggie sweater (on the knit-loom.)
I also make socks but that's if we need extra warmth.

Quoting micheledo:

Yep!  We kept our thermostat at 58 last year and bundled up in the home.  Saved a LOT of money. 

When we could barely afford our bills we didn't continue living at our normal level of comfort.  We made changes and bundled up or put less on.  :)  Kind of annoying when someone can't pay their heating bill and is asking for help and you haven't even turned your heat on yet.  (aside from the sick or elderly)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Thats wonderful to hear Hun.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

good idea but we are on budget so it doesnt change the price month to month

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

were in Delaware, it went down to 40 last night. We dont turn the heat on until the end of Oct if we can avoid it. We just layer up a little more.

powow65
by kimmy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Before my grandmom passed away, she too would use those water bags (fill it up with very hot water.) & it does work!

Quoting Decemberlov:

we have a wood burning stove that we use. haven't fired it up yet though. also a hot water bottle or warmed bag of rice under your blankets at your feet is a great way to keep your bed warm and cozy in the winter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I'm in Washington state and we are not near the heater stage yet! We usually turn it on in Dec. I don't remember if its too cold in Oct&November? We have the heater set to automatic so when it's "cold" enough it'll come on!

Sometimes we just use space heaters&ourfireplace.

mackiebugsmom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
It's chilly but we wait until the last minute to turn on the heat. I love snuggling under a blanket :)
MamaTinie
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Wait! you are actually supposed to use the heaters??? I won't let DH turn the heat on unless it snows (we are in WA State so snow here means it will rain the next day and be wet and freezing!) otherwise we have blankets fo the couch and double up the comforter on the bed

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
She died when I was 13. She rarely ever left our home.

Quoting powow65:

True, yes (with a wood stove the smoke goes up the chimney thingy & the ash not much but when you must clean the inside wood stove from time to time.)

Hopefully our mom isn't in the house when you clean out the wood stove.

But I think you have to clean it out maybe once a year or twice a year, to keep it going good.

Quoting lasombrs:

My mother had scleroderma in both her lungs and was on oxygen 24/7 they took out our fire place and put in a wood stove because the smoke and ash did not go into the air.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish we could do that here. My son has reactive airway disease, and one lung, small airways-its like a permanent, physical all the time asthma. I couldn't think of doing that and be in the right. He just couldn't breathe. Not to mention he's allergic to some trees, so that could hurt him.

Good for you, though.

Quoting lasombrs:

Wood stove :) why turn on my heat when I can burn downed brush and tree limbs from storms for free
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

our heat doesn't come on until absolutely necessary we try to wait til Nov

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys