Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: A Super Storage Solution

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

It's happening. The mornings are becoming crisps and the evenings bring a chill. It's just about time to put away the summer clothes, beach towels, light blankets and floaty toys until next summer. And each year, as my kid grows and so does the size of her gear, I feel that I'm constantly faced with new storage and organization dilemmas. So I've searched around, determined to find the solution that will make my life easiest and my clean-up job quickest, too, without breaking the bank. And the super storage solution I've found to be is.... Clear plastic bins.

They are wonderful for many reasons. They come in oodles of sizes, from shoe-box-size to basically enormous, and even sizes that roll right under a bed so they don't take up any extra room, and make use of unused, unseen spaces. (I use these for toys, by the way, and they work great!) I also love clear plastic bins because they are so sturdy, and can hold a lot of weight, and can be stacked in a closet, too. And the best thing about them, to me, is that you can see the contents inside really easily, so you don't need to waste time making labels or notes for what's in them. It's clear. Last but not least, they seal air-tight and keep out odors, moisture, mold, bugs and moths which can be harmful to your stuff too. The Container Store, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kmart and Target are a few of my favorite stores to buy storage bins at.

A smart way to organize your bins when you put them away is to try to stack them or store them by need. So things you probably won't need the longest, like beach toys, might go on the bottom, but place your Spring items closer to the top, making them more accessible because you'll want to unpack those sooner. Another tip is to separate your stuff by theme: For instance, I have a clear bin for Christmas decorations, another for fall and Halloween items, and one for Easter stuff. Having separate bins dedicated to specific things makes you more likely to hold onto things you can reuse, (like plastic Easter eggs to fill with candy, or paper decorations, garlands or lights), so you also save money because you're not re-purchasing items, however small and cheap, when you could be saving and reusing them, and finding them easily when you want them.

© iStockphoto.com/PhotoEuphoria

What are your favorite storage solutions

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
childofgod04
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Right now we have no storage space so everything is a mess. We do have a big rubbermaid tub though that is going to have summer things in it. 

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I used storage containers for everything.

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

We don't usually store our seasonal clothes. We have pretty good storage space in the closets. That is too much work for me to do. As far as containers to store things in I like baskets. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I love clear, especially when they have colored tops. I have orange for Fall decorations and red or green for Christmas and lavender for Spring, Yellow and blue for summer. It helps me find things easier.

mackiebugsmom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM
I love clear plastic bins! I use to get solid blue ones until I switched one Christmas and love to be able to see what's inside.
momkaribg
by Kari on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I usually just put the summer clothes in extra drawers but we have a attic now so I might out them in bins in the attic.
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

tyfs! i love lil storage containers for lil toys and storage organizers for clothes for kids

Mommabearbergh
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM
We do that. Sucky part is doing the laundry
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM

We use a lot of plastic bins for storage.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Containers a re my friend !!! I have so many and in different colors they are great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)