Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Spectacular September Roses

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

One of the most fascinating and amazing things about plants, to me, is how they each have their specific seasonal moments to blossom, like a magical internal clock that strikes no matter what the weather is, just at exactly the same time, in the same place, year by year. Here where we live, September, the end of summer, is the last hoorah for big blooms; most have peaked and faded already throughout the spring and summer. But roses, which bloom in June, make an exciting and spectacular comeback this time of year, like one last beautiful, bright explosion of life before the lights go out and the ground freezes, and everything sleeps for months to come.

Roses are iconic of so many things around the world. Love, beauty, perfume. But, to me, they are much more symbolic many other things: Resilience, strength, joy, growth, and surprise. I love how their thorny spines keep vagrant fingers from plucking them. And how, though you cut them back, they only come grow bigger and stronger each year. I love how delicate and beautiful they are, yet how hardy and vigorous, almost like a weed. They can take over an old garden shed or crumbling wall and turn it into a stunning, welcome sight. And I love how a rose, when given to a loved one, often offers a surprise, a delight, a message of love and joy without any words attached. One last thing I love about roses is how many interesting and creative uses I have seen for them, over the years. Here are a few that stuck with:

You can use fresh rose petals as beautiful table decoration for a special celebration. You can toss them in your bath for an extra relaxing spa feel and aromatherapy treat. You can dry them and put them in a little cloth bag to use as a drawer freshener, or keep them in a dish or the bottom of an empty vase as a natural air freshener for your home. You can press them and glue them to plain stationary to make beautiful cards. Or you can just keep them as a bouquet and let them remain as dry flowers in a vase, to decorate your home or remind you of a very special moment or sentiment. You can also eat rose petals, as they do in Indian food, or use them to add flavor when making jam, or to float on top or a special cocktail or fruit punch for parties. (It is recommended, however, that you grow your own roses or buy them from a farm stand you, know before eating them, as florists usually use pesticides which you do not want to ingest).

Do you enjoy roses? Do you have any special uses for them? 

© iStockphoto.com/Yasonya  

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I love roses! No special uses, but I hear you can make your own rose perfume.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
TFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Roses are pretty. I like using flowers as decorations around the house on the rare occassion that DH brings some home to surprise me :)

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I love roses! I want a couple of rose bushes in my yard like my grandma used to have in hers when I was little. It's special to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

tyfs i do like roses once in awhile. i'm not a big flower person, as they wilt and die quick

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I do like roses!! Brighten your day just seeing them!
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I do enjoy roses.. I have some around the house ;)  i love how they smell and the different colors.

I sometimes take the petals and put them around the house..

Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I enjoy them, but I really haven't used them for anything.

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Wednesday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

They are pretty.When I got married my oldest dd dropped rose petals as she walking up the aisle.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I love roses. I use flowers for decoration around the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)