Smarter Celebration: Celebrate Apple Season!

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't think I've ever met anyone who does not like apples. I was not a huge fan, personally, growing up, but I've lived in apple picking country for almost 2 decades now, and more and more, I can't seem to get enough of this delicious fruit. I'm starting to learn about and really enjoy the fact that there are just SO many delicious and different apple varieties grown, even just in one same area. And what's exciting is that they are not all harvested at the same time: some have a shorter growing season, and come earlier, others are more hardy and abundant, and can be picked longer into the fall, and enjoyed all winter when stored in your fridge properly. And they all taste so quite different, too; some are sweet, some are tart, some are crunchier and have a "snap," for instance. What's more, apples are apparently great for your heart and health in many ways.

One of the things I love most about apples is that you can go pick you own. Kids love this activity too, and if you have never done it, grab a map and a couple of bags or baskets and go make a day of it this autumn. You can stock up for a month or more to come, and the adventure will bring many fond memories to last for years. It's a really fun fall family tradition to start at any age.

Another thing that's so wonderful about apples is how much you can do with this fairly simple fruit. You can peel and mash them to make traditional applesauce, which babies love and adults too. (We usually serve it with pork chops). You can throw an apple in your coat pocket or lunch bag for a healthy snack, anytime. You can dice or slice apples and toss them in the oven the next time you make a roast. (I love them roasted with chicken, turkey or pork loin,) or use them in your stuffing on holidays. You can get a press and make your own apple juice or cider. Yum! Apples are also a wonderful addition to any salad, either sliced, diced or shredded. Apple cider vinegar is also a delicious way to spice up many recipes, from BBQ sauce to cupcake batter and salad dressings. Apple chunks can serve as a fresh, crunchy addition to baked goods like muffins as well, and applesauce can even be used a delicious, moist egg-substitute for healthier cupcakes, muffins or cakes. Last but not at all least, apple pie, a true American icon, is both fun and easy to make, and frankly, I can't wait to make one soon this fall. (I think I just drooled a little writing this!)

How do you enjoy apples most?

© iStockphoto.com/robynmac  

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I love apples ! Especially dipping them in fruit dip or caramel :)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this
We live the apple orchard. We went 2 weeks ago when you pick just started. I'd like to get there again.
Mznaye
by Jo on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I just cut them and eat them. They do taste good dipped in caramel.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My six year is old is an apple fanatic. We have to limit him to three a day or he would eat a while bag every day. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We love to bake apple pies.My kids love to eat apples.I put salt on mine

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I love apple crisp =)

fraujones
by Amanda on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I love apple pie, but the best way to enjoy them is fresh. My oldest likes to dip slices in peanut butter. 

mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a friends that already canned a ton of apples for pies/apple crisp and is working on apple butter today..I love apple season but the most I do is apple crisp.
gmadiane
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I love apples, alone or baked just as good either way

auntiekiss
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

apple slices dipped in a cream cheese and brown sugar mixture.  Yummy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: