Group Home

TVs in your kids rooms-your opinions appreciated *edit*

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 373 Replies

DS1 mentioned wanting a TV for his room last week. So now DH has this brilliant idea that we should get the boys their own TV for their rooms. My gut says-no way.

DS1 is 10, DS2 is 8. They currently have a TV to share in our living room (we have a very large living room-considered a double living room). I am able to monitor what they watch and know when they are watching TV.

Neither boy has showed that they are responsible enough to not watch TV in the middle of the night or to get up for school without turning it on and watching it without being ready.

We have enough problems with them doing homework without adding a TV in the mix.

What are your thoughts? Would you put a TV in your kids bedroom? Do they have one now?

ETA: Wow, look at all the responses, lol. I started to read them yesterday but ran out of time. I will go through them though. I appreciate everyone's respose. DH and I are still discussing this but I think we're more than likely going to put the idea on hold and instead get the boys a game system.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM
17 moms liked this

Judge me all you want but here it goes ........ My ds#1 got a very nice big expensive tv for his second bday (we got it for him), it is wall mounted and has no cable box so he can only watch dvds.... We bought it so he can watch all his favorites as well as educational shows like leap frog etc. He is now 5 1/2 he knows better that its a privilege and not to use it without asking he has tv time when we allow it which is not everyday..It also helps me out when I clean and I need him out of an area and to stay put while I clean, as well as when he is sick he can lay in bed and not be board. I see no problem with it as long as their are rules. It also would be a good idea to wall mount the tv so it can not be reacehd by little ones to be turned on when you dont want them to and take the remote if you have a fear they can not be trusted... I have never had any issues ever and I think that is bc we have had rules since day one and he was so little that he knows what the rules have always been.. I say go for it !

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, my kids don't only because my hubby will not let them have one. I grew up with a tv in my room. I turned out okay. ;) So it woudn't bother me if they had one. Anyway, I like Stevensmomma's idea too. Sounds like it works out really well. 

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Why would I judge you? You do what works for you and your family.

Hanging the TV on the wall isnt an option at this point. We are considering moving within the next year so I don't want anymore holes on the wall than there already is, plus we live in a house with plaster walls that are horrible. It's hard enough to hang a shelf, let alone a TV, lol.

Thanks for sharing your opinion though :)

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Judge me all you want but here it goes ........ My ds#1 got a very nice big expensive tv for his second bday (we got it for him), it is wall mounted and has no cable box so he can only watch dvds.... We bought it so he can watch all his favorites as well as educational shows like leap frog etc. He is now 5 1/2 he knows better that its a privilege and not to use it without asking he has tv time when we allow it which is not everyday..It also helps me out when I clean and I need him out of an area and to stay put while I clean, as well as when he is sick he can lay in bed and not be board. I see no problem with it as long as their are rules. It also would be a good idea to wall mount the tv so it can not be reacehd by little ones to be turned on when you dont want them to and take the remote if you have a fear they can not be trusted... I have never had any issues ever and I think that is bc we have had rules since day one and he was so little that he knows what the rules have always been.. I say go for it !

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Quoting wandep:

Well, my kids don't only because my hubby will not let them have one. I grew up with a tv in my room. I turned out okay. ;) So it woudn't bother me if they had one. Anyway, I like Stevensmomma's idea too. Sounds like it works out really well. 

haha-love that argument.

I didn't have one growing up but my dh did. He turned out alright too but from stories his mom told, he was much more trustworthy than his brother was, lol.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I won't, we watch way too much TV as it is.

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I won't ever put a tv in my kids rooms. I had one growing up and would stay up until all hours watching it (and I was responsible- I just really like to watch tv and it was an escape from my family).
proudmommy690
by Christa on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids have one in their room
Bookwormy
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
5 moms liked this
We limit screen time to weekends & don't have cable. Wouldn't happen in our home. But each home is different.
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids have tvs, as did I. THere are ways you can monitor and block things kids watch

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My kids dont have one in theri rooms but if I could I would get them one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690