Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Tips for Cleaning Your House FAST

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies
7 moms liked this

"If I only had another hour in the day!"

Every mom I know has uttered the above words. Really, I mean, if we were going to make it happen, I'd ask for two hours, but I'll take whatever they are giving. Some days are so jammed, I forget to go to the bathroom...anyone else with me? So, I'm trying to figure out ways to carve out extra time within this finite 24 hours we have each day, little "lifehacks" to create the illusion of more time.

On tap lately: how to do things I have to do faster. Whether showering or getting dressed or whipping my hair into a messy bun-up-do, how to shave off a few minutes in each task...as a few minutes here or there add up to a big chunk of an hour of "found time." One of the biggest tasks that I think I need to time-tweak? Cleaning the house. I know, I just know there are ways to make scrubbing the toilet and de-dustbunnying under the couch go faster. Here are some tips from the pros I'm going to try next cleaning day or when I get a phone call that Kiddo's BFF's mom is popping over and the abode is in full-on DEFCON 3 disaster mode.

-- Never go back to a room. This means get in, get that one place done, and then move on.  I know I waste a bunch of minutes not focusing on just one area until it's done.

-- Start with clearing the clutter. Toss, stow, stash all of that stuff that is creeping on tables and bookshelves. Grab a portable tote and put stuff in there that goes into other parts of the house while you tackle that room (so you can follow hint number 1) and then deliver those items to their proper places. Saves you time on not making many trips.

-- If you are really crunched for time or need to be done quickly, don't do a huge scrubbing of the tub. Clean it, but don't do an in-depth cleaning if you don't have spare minutes. Concentrate on where guests will spend the most time (the sink, the mirrors, the toilet).

-- Get all of your tools together before you start. In a bucket or tote, have all that you need do tackle each room. You save precious minutes running to and from wherever you may keep the cleaning supplies by having them all with you and just carrying them from room to room.

-- Hang a trash bag from the doorknob of the room you are working on. Easy to toss used paper towels or anything else you need to chuck.

Share your tips on speed-cleaning your house!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ScrappinStacy

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM
3 moms liked this
My biggest issue. I have NO MOTIVATION. My boys are into everything. I must make sure they aren't beating each other up or trying to get the other to jump off of a high surface CONSTANTLY !!!!
I have been trying to do something daily. On top of my usual cleaning. I keep bathrooms, floors, dishes, laundry-those are daily things.
Otherwise, I need to keep on top of my bedroom floor, etc.....and I am just not motivated. Ugh
I hope my boys are less trouble in the close future. It'd be nice to be able to clean and not have to worry about someone breaking a bone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Use disinfecting wipes between mopping, clean as you go, dont leave a room empty handed

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM
3 moms liked this

put on some lively music to keep you energized

callmemaybe
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Clearing the clutter is a biggie.  I also concentrate on making my floors look clean . . . I am a big fan of Swiffer!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Shut and lock the bedroom doors

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Keep up on laundry daily. Do at least 1 load a day. 

wandep
by Pam on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Keep your kitchen clean....do the dishes right after you finish eating.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I have cleaning supplies in each bathroom. I have found my irobot really helps with keeping the floors clean.( I love that I can set it and it runs by itself.) 

she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

keep cleaning supplies and paper towel under every sink.

use a reacher , grabby hand thing to pick up the floors so I don't have to bend over 1000 times.

keep a donate box in the laundry room and fill it often.

clean the shower and tub while I am in it.

just vacuum the main walkways, keep a broom on the front deck

music and coffee:)

My house is to big :/

Mznaye
by Jo on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Tfs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)