How do you juggle kids school, sports and family schedule?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hello there

We have two children in elementary school. Both are into sports and also active in other social activities like drama, piano and cultural etc 

Invariably there is about 5 activities per child and we end up marking them on wall calender or stick the schedule on refrigerator door. The problem if something changes (well we live in northeast and activiy cancellation at the last minute is very real!)  Like most moms (sorry dads, you are good at many things but mostly not when it comes to keeping the house schedule in order!) I need to stay on top (my husband travels quite a bit for work). We have tried putting it on gmail and yahoo calendars, but that only shifts the problem. Tried cozi, its sort of nice but again its like gmail calendar but with good recipies!

what is other mom's experience dealing with this what seems to be a common issue? 

thanks!

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I use the claendar on my phone and tablet and I update it often. I coordinate that with my wall calendar but on my phone it can be more fluid. My dh is gone most of the time so it's just me with my mom for backup when she can. Like today piano is at 4, flag football practice is at 6 and girl scouts(I am the leader) is at 6:30. I knew a week ago to ask grandma to help shuffle them around.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I got it photographed in my memory. Girlscouts and Boyscouts durning the wk and sports just about all day Saturday.
chicken13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My dh travels for work too.  And dd is crazy busy.

in our house, everyone knows there is only 1 calendar!!  Mine.  I have an old school planner and everything for the house, kid and pets goes in there.  Dh handles his own travel schedule ...but can't be relied on to help with anything else.  Which sounds awful...but it's just a fact.  He earns the $$ and if he has to travel, then he needs to be free to go. 

If it's not on my calendar...then it's not happening.  And there is a pretty good chance I'll book right over the top.

toadster
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The age old scheduling/juggling frustrating problem. We went through all the same options (gmail, cozi and one other can't remember now) but none was solving the issue, I still have to input the details

The past month or so we have been trying a free iphone app called ZeeCal (my husband uses an android phone and the app is almost the same, and free too). The difference is it lets setup events with anyone  and on any type of phone (yeah even the non smart phones) by just using phone numbers. yes, no email addresses but just mobile phone numbers!

Intially we used it among girlfriends to setup some sample events like girls night out, kids sleepovers.. it worked well. Introduced to my son's soccer coach, now he's sending all soccer games/times, field location (he's in travel team) right to my iphone (and I don't have to put it or manage it).If there is a cancelation I get the instant notice right on my phone and also can get directions to where the field is.. and also I can share a game details with my dad if he want to see my son, right from my phone (he does not have a smart phone so gets an SMS reminder) I like these aspects

Since the school started the PTA is trying it (I am a volunteer there and they all seem to like what they see so far), it that too works, then I don't have to deal with multiple emails..

I think its better if you see their video on youtube ( http://tiny.cc/ZVideo ), they send this link with every event (which is kind of annoying, but I have learned to ignore it)  which pretty much summed up my problem.

If anyone else has tried it let me know, I am planning to introduce it to classroom teachers too, but want to hear any experience before going to school

thanks

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I use Cozi but mostly I just have to keep in communication with whoever is picking a kid up.  I make mistakes, it's really inevitable because I'm human lol.  

One thing we do is limit one activity per kid at a time.  There are exceptions and those exceptions crowd things up as it is.  

We have 3 kids and it gets really complicated. This past week was crazy. We have overlapping seasons right now and we are squeaking by.  

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I am very controlling in the scheduling dept I will not allow us to be taken over by it!
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I just use my calendar on my phone and have it alert me in advance 2 times. Then I just tell my husband what is going on. Lol. Not much help...sorry;) Sounds like your doing too much and could cut back a program or two. Mommies don't have super powers:)
sleepy_in_va
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I use a wall calendar and a pocket calendar in my purse. I don't trust my phone to keep track of what I need as its a an older smart phone and isn't very smart. Plus when I write stuff down I remember it more. I also try to highlight the adult things with one color and the kids stuff with another color. Has worked so far for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

I use a wall calendar and a pocket calendar in my purse. I don't trust my phone to keep track of what I need as its a an older smart phone and isn't very smart. Plus when I write stuff down I remember it more. I also try to highlight the adult things with one color and the kids stuff with another color. Has worked so far for us.

I have a dry erase board and we all have a color.  The key is actually getting it up there lol.  

sleepy_in_va
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I sit down at the beginning of the month and write down everything going on that month. And as things come up throughout the month I make sure to write those down when I get them. I have had to make myself do this because I'm really bad at organizing things. But with a kiddo in school, drs appts and Girl Scouts I need to keep track of everything

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

I have a dry erase board and we all have a color.  The key is actually getting it up there lol.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: