Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday hosting hostilities :(

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 116 Replies
1 mom liked this
This year is my year to host Christmas for my extended family. We host every other year rotating with one of my cousins, A. Last year there was a huge hulabaloo bc cousin A declared she was hosting Christmas on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. Usually every year we go to cousin B's house on Christmas Eve for dinner before church. Well A & B are twins and worked it out amongst themselves.
Since A was hosting Christmas Day on Eve, presents and such, my mom extended a simple invite to any family that wanted stop by on Christmas just to have some place to go that they were welcome. Cousin A flipped out at me stating we were undermining her hosting and what not.

So this is our year and my kids have already been talking about it for at least 2 months. Well we had family over today for cake for someone's birthday and out of the blue Cousin B declares she is hosting Christmas this year and going into the rotation. SO... I didn't say anything just finished my cake but my husband said well isn't it our year to host? And cousin B says well I just bought a new house so I am doing it.

I'm livid, I literally didn't say a word. I got up walked away and got into the shower. Thankfully when I got out everyone was gone! I'm mad, it was out year to host. I don't see why she can't just host Christmas Eve. More importantly I think she owed me the decency to talk to me first before declaring it to the entire family.

Would you be upset? I'm on the verge of telling everyone to F off after some other things that happened today. :(
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaniNY
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM
11 moms liked this
I would tell her that I wasn't willing to give up my turn, especially because she didn't even talk to you about it beforhand.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Can you just call Cousin B and talk it over? Do you think she would understand where you are coming from? Or maybe there is a compromise...?
Juniper53098
by June on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the 3 of you should get together and discuss where cousin B will fit into the rotation.

alliesmom112
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be upset. 

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM
4 moms liked this

I would cool off first, and call a meeting with all the parties involved and tell them that your kids have already started planning this year and maybe she could do the Christmas Eve party this year and next year she can get in on the rotation. 

suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, I'm glad other people understand my point! I'm so frustrated I feel like if she's going to jump in she should take next year. My mom said I should wait to say anything until after Monday (when my mom is having surgery), unfortunately I will be stuck in the waiting room with my Aunt, cousin A & B's mom. Hopefully it doesn't come up bc I don't want to piss anyone off, but ugh, I'm so upset!
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM
25 moms liked this

I would just have the holidays with my own family and forget that childish drama. Seriously that is what I would do. I wouldn't even entertain that silliness. My biggest concern at the holidays is my family and their happiness. 

mamivon2
by Sandra on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM
9 moms liked this

I wouldnt be upset. I would tell her to go right ahead less work for me

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
4 moms liked this

I would celebrate with my family and not go anywhere... that was not nice, she should have consulted with everyone, including you and asked if it was ok since she has a new house to do it at her house, not just blurt it out like that.

now on the other hand, it is a blessing in disguise, now you dont have to host and clean :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

me too..

Quoting jconney80:

I would just have the holidays with my own family and forget that childish drama. Seriously that is what I would do. I wouldn't even entertain that silliness. My biggest concern at the holidays is my family and their happiness. 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)