Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Inspiring Cancer Survivor Gifts

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

My mom has done some amazing things in her life -- went back and got her PhD at age 50, works with struggling children to get them the mental health treament and just basic life skills they need to lead a happy life...and she fought breast cancer and won that battle.

Yes, she is, indeed, a survivor, and I am so proud of her. I remember that first Christmas after she was "cancer-free." There was still a long road ahead, many checkups and follow-ups, but she had technically "beat it."  It was a time to celebrate, a time of hope, a time of joy. Sooooo, we got her some great cancer survivor gifts. Not everyone who faces this battle may want gifts, but some do, and I ran across some great and inspiring options.

My mom is a big tea drinker, so a mug is always a good present option for her. The Keep Calm and Fight On from Zazzle, as well as the To Do list from over at CafePress, are just two of many inspiring and humorous messages. She'll be reminded of just how amazing her courage and strength is when she sips tea, coffee or even yummy soup.

I spotted this keychain at ChooseHope.com. The What Cancer cannot Do" poem has brought peace and encrougaement to those battling cancer and those that have survived the fight. It reads: Cancer is so limited... It cannot cripple love. It cannot shatter hope. It cannot corrode faith. It cannot eat away peace. It cannot destroy confidence. It cannot kill friendship. It cannot shut out memories. It cannot quench the spirit. It cannot silence courage .It cannot reduce eternal life. A small, yet powerful way to remind that cancer survivor in your life how amazing she is.

If you know someone still in the middle of cancer treatments, give a gift that is one of comfort -- think a new quilt, some fresh pajamas (opt for 100% cotton and softness), or a recovery basket filled with tea, treats and perhaps a Netflix or Amazon gift certificate so she can select some entertainment to brighten her days.

Has cancer affected anyone in your world? Share your best ways you show support and encouragement for those fighting -- and those that have beat it!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ hidesy

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Last year I had stage 3 ovarian/colon. A friend of mine got me reversible apron it is very nice.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM
I like to support anything these fighters are amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM

These are inspiring.

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Very nice! Love the coffee cup. :)

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
That had to be scary. Are you still fighting it or are you cancer free?

Quoting brownhoney21:

Last year I had stage 3 ovarian/colon. A friend of mine got me reversible apron it is very nice.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My MIL has lung cancer.  She had one of her lungs removed a few months ago.  She is still receiving chemo treatments.  

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

my father didnt even had a chance to fight it, it was very sudden and he was gone in less then 3 months... but personally I think it was better that way in his case, because he didnt suffer or go through treatments.

Happy to hear your mother is well :)

I really really like that key chain!

Mznaye
by Jo on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
My maternal grandma had stomach cancer. We found out in January 2001 and she died in May 2001. My paternal grandma died of ovarian cancer May 1995. I dont remember when she was diagnosed though.

My X-MIL has Leukemia. Its affecting my ds. I love the coffee cup and the key chain
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM

my grandmother has survived colon cancer twice. DD's grandmother unfortunately lost her battle with breast cancer 2 years ago =(

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

my mom lost a close friend to breast cancer years ago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)