Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An Open Letter to Pumpkin: Please, Tone It Down

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 23 Replies

An Open Letter to Pumpkin: Please, Tone It Down

posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

pumpkin

I guess I should start by saying congratulations on "your" time of year. Here we are, another fall, and you've outdone yourself yet again. I can't say for sure, because I was asleep, but I'm fairly positive that when the clock struck midnight on August 31, you appeared out of thin air in giant cardboard boxes in front of every grocery store in America. Your PR person is beyond. Do you use the Kardashians' girl? Ah, probably not, because you'd be at Paris Fashion Week right now. Wait, are you? Anyway!

The reason I'm writing isn't because I have anything against you personally. Just the opposite, in fact. I quite like you. It's long been a dream of mine to hollow you out and use you as a bowl for pumpkin (or butternut squash, no offense) soup at Thanksgiving dinner. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but something tells me I have time, if you know what I'm saying. If you don't, what I'm saying is you're not going anywhere. Ever.

There's no point in sugarcoating things (unless you're a sugar pumpkin heh), so I'm just going to go for it. You're just ... too much, Pumpkin. Too much. You need to dial it back a few notches. Lattes and cupcakes, fine. Totally get it. But when you get into Pringles and Pop Tarts and ale territory, enough is enough. And don't get me wrong, I know this isn't all you. It's your PR person, who I guess might not know what she's doing after all. I mean, those Kardashian-flavored potato chips were disgusting.

And I'm going to say something controversial here: I, personally, don't like pumpkin-flavored things all that much. There, I said it. I would definitely choose an apple cider-flavored donut over a pumpkin one, and for the love of sweet, tiny baby Jesus, regular, "plain" pasta over pumpkin-flavored. Italian classics and fall favorites are a gap that ought not ever be bridged. Because it's disgusting. And pumpkin bagels? Now you're just getting cocky.

I'm no therapist, but if I had to dole out a little dime store psychology here, I'd say this all stems from some kind of childhood trauma; a deep-seeded insecurity of yours. Did your parents push you when you were just an itty bit of a thing, growing up on the patch? Did you get a lot of positive reinforcement any time someone tasted or smelled you? (Let's not even get into your Candle Complex.) I'm not trying to be intrusive; I just want to help. Apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg are all fall favorites, as well, but they're not assaulting everyone's eyes, noses, and mouths every time people leave their house.

I'm sorry, that was mean.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, relax, Pumpkin. Take a load off. I can't imagine the pressure you're under this time of year, but I think, in a lot of ways, you're putting it on yourself. No one will care if you take a few days off to recharge your batts. Why don't you and a couple of gourds go have a lost weekend in Mexico? Drink fruity drinks; lay on the beach (if you're not already carved); birddog the chicas. It'll be good for you.

And in the spirit of remaining honest, it'll be good for me, too. Though, I will admit, the photo of you vomiting really does not get old.

pumpkin 

Are you obsessed with pumpkins? (Go ahead, blow his head up a little more!)
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I don't eat much pumpkin. I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin seeds and thats about it

KW1280
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I don't like pumpkins at all
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I LOVE pumpkin!

Mznaye
by Jo on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Pumpkins are nice to look at
alf2651
by Amanda on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I love pumpkin!

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Who had time to write this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieCotter42
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Mobile Photo

I life Pumpkin pie that's it.
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I'm not a big pumpkin eater
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I like to decorate with them but not eat them. LOL

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

i like them for decoration but not for any type of food

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN