Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't own a thermometer . . .

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM
  • 328 Replies
3 moms liked this

I don't own a thermometer . . .

Before you say I'm irresponsible, let me explain.

I believe that fevers are a sign that your body is fighing off infection, so I don't really want to treat a fever.  I do treat pain and other symptoms, but I don't really think the number on a themometer matters.  

Do you own a thermometer?  Have you used it recently?

sick

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:19 AM
20 moms liked this

I respectfully disagree. But having had my temp up at 105.8 at one point in my life I think its important to know if a fever gets that bad. I do own one and I have used it recently when my son was running a 102 fever. 

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM
76 moms liked this

Just because you don't want to treat a fever, doesn't mean you shouldn't track it, especially in children.

JoanahLee
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I have one, but its fairly unreliable to tell the difference between 99.1 and 100.  Im with you, I don't treat low grade fevers, but I also had a kid read 108 (in his armpit, inside his footie PJs, as we were stripping him down...so I think it was a bit lower) but it was nice to have the conformation that we needed to be running, not walking to the closest ER.  It was 105 when they took it in the ER, but he had been stripped, wiped down and given a dose of tylenol on the way. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:26 AM
12 moms liked this
Tracking a fever is only logical even holistically
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Yes, I do.  I want to make sure I keep track of their temp, every couple of hours if they are sick. 

Devious333
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Fevers scare the piss out of me. I hallucinated when I was a kid. I used to get bad fevers. So I own 2 thermometers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:42 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Just because you don't want to treat a fever, doesn't mean you shouldn't track it, especially in children.

You can tell if a child has a very high fever by touching them . . . and by how they act.  My kids are 11, 15, 20 and 20 and they've survived just fine.  So far!  :)

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe it's because we just don't get sick very often . . . I just have never really seen the need.  My kids have also only had antibiotics a couple of times in their whole lives - my 11-year old has never had antibiotics, actually.

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:50 AM
10 moms liked this

No touch does not tell you what the fever is.  It just tells you that they have a fever. 

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You can tell if a child has a very high fever by touching them . . . and by how they act.  My kids are 11, 15, 20 and 20 and they've survived just fine.  So far!  :)

bhwrn1
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM
4 moms liked this

I own a few. I won't medicate unless the fever is high.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN