Group Home

Smarter Celebration: Start Decorating for the Holidays!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

October is here and that means one thing for sure: It's time to start decorating for all the fun holidays ahead. I love sharing decorating ideas because even though many decorations are the same all around, there are always so many ways to make some simple, standard décor more creative and unique, and different each year.

My daughter loves cutting and gluing things, so one way she can enjoy helping decorate our home for the holidays is by making garlands. And what I love about making garlands is that just by using different paper or material, you can create a whole different look. Try recycling magazine and newspaper for example, or old torn books. Save up construction paper which your kids have scribbled on instead of throwing it out, and once you have a nice pile, have them just cut strips, loop rings together, glue and hang. Shiny paper or bit of of foil, glitter and glitter glue, sequins or pompoms are all colorful ways to create a new look on an old garland too.

Crayola makes window markers, which are really fun to use for holiday décor. In addition to being to able to draw on windows and any glass doors, kids can enjoy making bathrooms and bedrooms funny or spooky or festive with some designs in the corners or around edges of mirrors as well.

Last but not least, we really love bringing nature indoors when we are decorating for the holidays. Picking out colorful leaves, pine cones, interesting stones and branches and dried flowers is a fun outdoor activity and brings a festive feel to your home, in addition to standard decorations you can buy or even pick, like pumpkins or wreathes. Try using different colored yarn to wrap around a branch for added color and an interesting ornament hanger. You can also use white or clear string and simple thumbtacks to hang leaves and pinecones from your ceiling, from chandeliers, or on door and window frames. These will spin around in the breeze and look really festive. For added shimmer and shine, get some gold or silver paint and dab it on the edges of your nature decorations.

How do you start decorating for the holidays with your kids?

© iStockphoto.com/MariaSh  

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I really need to do more of this... DS got so excited when I bought a tealight holder, I know he'd like to do even more!
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah i have to involve them more.  I usually let them put the non-breakable stuff up.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Some good ideas here. Thanks. We have decorations we use each year and then get pumpkins big and the tiny ones for decorations.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
We like the window clings
mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:01 AM

not sure. not big on decorating

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids love to make holiday crafts

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I just decorate a little around the house. We have front door decorations too. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd likes to put up window clings on the door that leads to the garage.

Vertical15
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't but we do more crafts in the fall and winter then other times.  So we hang those things around, usually just in the kitchen but its festive :)

amyjane22
by Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I pick up a few little projects from Dollar tree.  We also will press leaves in wax paper and other little things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80