Smarter Style: Super Creative Kids’ Rooms

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

I don't know about you, but making my kid's room really fun and special is something I love thinking about, even though I barely have time to keep it remotely organized and neat, let alone follow through with any of these ideas (so far). But I do think about it, and I browse and plan, and since my child is turning five any second now, (wow!) I sincerely hope to get my act together and make her bedroom a really special, creative place for her to continue to enjoy and grow in. Here are some really cool ideas, which I hope to try some form of, someday, for my kid as she's growing up:

1) Using shelving creatively: Shelves are so useful and necessary for keeping toys, books and clothes off your kids' bedroom floor, or bed. I have seen really creative kid's rooms where the shelving units look like trees. Or where the shelves hide a drop-down desk, so when you close the desktop up, and hook it with a latch, all the mess that is behind is hidden. (Kids like secret hiding spots for their stuff so they like this concept a lot too). I have also seen shelves used as ladders. I have seen shelves built into stairs, or under and around window frames with a bench ontop. I saw really cool shelves that became a dollhouse by just adding some curtains, a small door on one shelf and some slanted shelves at the top shaped like a roof!

2) Using height creatively: Here in the city, space is tight for almost every parent and kid. One creative way to solve that problem is to make use of the air space in height that a kids bedroom has. There are companies here that build loft beds or bunkbeds custom-designed to fit the tiny rooms kids live in, and they do really interesting things with the space that is then freed up below the bed. Pottery Barn Kids has some similar ideas on their website, like a castle bed, a tree-house bed and even a surf van bed all displayed on this webpage here: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/kids/furniture/bunk-beds/?cm_type=gnav. In addition to using the stairs up to the bed platform for storage, which I find awesome, you can use the space below the loft for so many neat and fun ideas: a hammock, a swing, monkey bars, a book nook, a desk, a pirate ship, a castle, a walk-in closet or walk-in doll houses or toy kitchen or puppet theatre. I have come up with so many ideas that I can't even begin to pick one, which is one of my excuses for not have done anything like this yet. (And, full disclosure, I selfishly fear that won't be able to snuggle my little one so easily when her bed is high up anymore!...) 

3) Using bedroom door and wall spaces creatively: Aside from shelves, wall hooks (which I recently blogged about) are a great way to decorate and organize your kids' rooms in fun ways. But you can also use walls to inspire your children to dream and create, by painting a surface with chalk paint (either a whole wall, half a door, or even cool shapes onto the wall like squares, circles, animal shapes in etc, in chalk paint.) This adds a fun look to the wall and allows your kid to enjoy the space more. Making a mural together, either over a weekend or holiday, or over the course of a year or more, can be a really fun, creative and memorable project as well, and will bring a lot of color and joy to your kids room as well. And if you don't feel like making a mess with paint, I have seen really cool murals made with decals and stickers too.  

What creative ideas do you have to enhance your kids' rooms?

© iStockphoto.com/tulcarion  

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shymomof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM

That's a pretty cool room!

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM

great ideas 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:32 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That looks awesome :)

wandep
feeling happy :)
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by Pam on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM

That is cool. We don't have anything fancy. I'd love to tho.

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I would love to do some of the vertical spacing ideas.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Oh this is awesome! I love it!

MaskedMomma
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I like the adding door and curtains to them to make doll houses. Im going to have to let the girls pick out pretty fabric and I'll velcro and hot glue it up so they can change it out and when they get older they can hang like a flag we made with their name or Maybe someday a boy bands fabric poster flag thing or something idk.

For now though velcro and fabric for the dollhouse doors and such. Ill even let them tape a piece of scrapbook paper to the wall so each shelf is like a different room to them with the dolls!

We have 4 girls 6 &under, who all share a room, with bunkbeds! Needless to say that room is limited. We have also been looking into that folding from the wall desk thing as they'll all have homework in a couple years and I might need the kitchen table for oh idk dinner? Lol.

Anyone have any space saving ideas for their bookshelf? Or clothes. As a family of 6 we havea lot of books and a lot of clothes and not ever enough room for it all!
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM

love it! wish i had more ideas and space

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
That is neat. I need to find better storage for dd. She has a small room & it's hard to store her things in there.
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Fun!!! I like wasted space to give them room to play
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?