Group Home

Smarter You: Face Your Fears Day

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

We live in an apartment building...it's 30 floors high. And atop that last 30th floor is a rooftop garden. I hear it is really beautiful, has an amazing view and, yes, that the Wi-Fi works up there. I hear this. I don't really know it. You see, I'm afraid of heights. I know, a little odd that I live in a very tall apartment building, but it's the open-area kind of fear of heights. I can fly in an airplane, I can be on high floors, but being in a space that is high up and open, that's a different story. I'm careful to stay away from the sides of certain open-air escalators. I manage.

Among the other things I'm afraid of: bugs, specifically spiders (arachnophobia). and dying (thantophobia). I'm grateful I don't have geliophobia (fear of laughter) or sesquipedalophobia (the fear of long words). That would make my job rather difficult, eh?

Okay, I know you are thinking, "Um, Heather, what is up with the fear confessional?" Why, I'm glad you asked. It is Face Your Fears Day!! Yup. The day to talk about fears and attempt to do something about them.

I read up on how fears form and, usually, it is due to one of three factors: through a traumatic experience, through observation (like seeing it on TV), or through others who can instill it in you. I've found more and more now that Kiddo is older, my fears come up...and I want nothing more than to be sure SHE doesn't take on my fears. So far, so good (knock wood).

In order to be sure that Kiddo doesn't adopt my fears, I've been trying to get better about facing them in small ways...by doing some of the hints psychologists say to do when dealing with a phobia. First, I've been trying to think positive thoughts, as fearful thoughts tend to increase fears. When I'm in the middle of a "fearful episode," I acknowledge, say "Howdy-do, Mr. Fear!" and then move on. Instead of trying to forget about it or ignore it (which never works, really), I welcome that fear, those thoughts, and then move on. Don't give them any more attention or energy they deserve. 

I have to say, these little switches have made it easier to kill little creepy crawlies. The roof garden? Still haven't been up there, but I did sit on a friend's roof top garden the other day...only 12 stories high, but that's something, right?

What are your fears or phobias? How does it affect your life? What about those in your world -- anyone having a hard time with fears? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Marekuliasz

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I'm afraid of non contained fire. Which is great when you live on a mountain that gets fire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont like my weight and as much as I have tried to lose weight it is a constant battle but i dont want my daughters missing out because I dont want to show my body, so we have gone to the beach a few times this year.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:45 AM
I have the same problem.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I dont like my weight and as much as I have tried to lose weight it is a constant battle but i dont want my daughters missing out because I dont want to show my body, so we have gone to the beach a few times this year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SheciaBaby
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM
I shattered my ankle n broke my leg in august in a car wreck. I was going up the steps at home and I fell backwards once. For weeks I would backward crawl up the steps and make someone help me stand up because I didn't trust the crutches anymore. They failed me.
I got my boot on a month ago because of an ulcer on my heel(otherwise I'd have a cast on) and I use the open toe area to lean up on while I go up. I realized earlier today that I actually stopped using the boot to support and I've actually been hopping up again. Idk how I did it or started doing it. But ... I did ! Lol
mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:33 AM

fish.. lol

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM

oh and getting shot but only at night..

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I hate clowns.

Luckily, I don't encounter clowns daily, so all is well, lol.

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I'm scared of heights too Heather!!! I would never go up on that roof top garden of yours. We should do it together!! :) Keep me updated on it if you ever make it up there...I also have a fear of riding along side those big semi trucks. :( Scares me to death....was almost hit by one in my VW beetle a long time ago. 

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope you feel better soon!! :(

Quoting SheciaBaby:

I shattered my ankle n broke my leg in august in a car wreck. I was going up the steps at home and I fell backwards once. For weeks I would backward crawl up the steps and make someone help me stand up because I didn't trust the crutches anymore. They failed me.
I got my boot on a month ago because of an ulcer on my heel(otherwise I'd have a cast on) and I use the open toe area to lean up on while I go up. I realized earlier today that I actually stopped using the boot to support and I've actually been hopping up again. Idk how I did it or started doing it. But ... I did ! Lol

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I really struggle with getting up in front of people, yet I help lead the music at our church.  Some days are harder than others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys