Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Breast Cancer? Do you know your family history?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

So, I remember getting the phone call when my mom told me she had breast cancer. She told me and then I asked all about what the next months for her were going to be like, what treatments she was going to have, all about this long road she was about to travel down...but she didn't want to talk about that until she told me about what this diagnosis meant for me...and my daughter.

Yeah, she's like that, always thinking of us, over herself, but she was right. Breast cancer is now part of our family history. I need to tell my doctors, my daughter will need to tell hers when she's older. I started getting mammograms before the usual age of 40.

We all know the basics, right? That your risk of breast cancer increases with age. Of those women that get breast cancer, 25% are those with a family history of it. Sometimes, your risk is increased - by quite a lot -- depending on if the genes you carry are altered.  They say about 10% of women with breast cancer will have one of these kinds of altered genes.

So what does all of this mean? It means we all need to know our family history of breast cancer. I'm not saying run out and find out if you carry any sort of altered gene, but knowing if every women on your dad's side had breast cancer or if your mom's Meemaw had it. It's being aware of your risks so you can make informed decisions on your health - and that of your kids too. 

Now, I'm obviously just talking breast cancer here, because it is breast cancer awareness month and all, but your overall family medical history is an important thing to know in general. Can literally save your life. Why not get that family medical history going this month? Find out if heart disease or diabetes or any other types of cancers or medical conditions run in your family and your husband's.

Do you know your family's medical history? Does cancer impact your history?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ topshotUK

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliesmom112
by Sandy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I know my dad's side but I have not seen my biological mother since i was 6 years old so I don't know her side 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

no :(

jessica1078
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I know my maternal grandfathers sister had a double mastectomy but that's it. I just found this out a few years ago and my mother had cervical cancer- which was treated by a full hysterectomy.
My kids however have to be cautious of thyroid cancer, and a few others from their dads side.
taniamorse85
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM
There is no history of breast or gynecological cancers on either side of my family. However, there is a history of lung, colon, and skin cancers, as well as myelodysplastic syndrome ("pre-leukemia"; what Robin Roberts was treated for last year).
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Yes

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

We have a problem with diabetes & heart disease. Not many people have had cancer in our family, in fact no one that I can think of.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

My mom and her side of the family do not have a history of breast cancer...however, I do not know about my father's side.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

breast cancer doesnt run in my family but other types...skin, prostate, etc

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I do not know my family history. I wish I did.
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Yes!! My gma had it at 35 while preg with her last
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)