Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Perfect Pumpkin Recipes

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

When we walk about the city, we pass by lots of little corner mini grocery stores, little delis that stock everything from pita chips to laundry detergent. Outside, there are fresh flowers and fruit and veggies. You can always tell what holiday is near - lovely Easter flowers around April, and lately, pumpkins of various sizes for Halloween.

Aside from Starbucks and the annual arrival of the pumpkin spice latte, the piles of pumpkins on every corner always signals the start of Fall and the nearness of Halloween. Little known pumpkin fact? The pumpkin is the member of the Cucurbita family, which includes squash and cucumbers. Littler known pumpkin fact: pumpkins are 90% water.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge pumpkin fan but, when I ran across these recipes, I definitely paused. What do you think of these?

Pumpkin Honey Beer Quick Bread from MyRecipes.com 

14.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 1/4 cups)

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup ground flaxseed

2 1/2 cups sugar

2/3 cup canola oil

2/3 cup honey beer (at room temperature)

1/2 cup egg substitute

2 large eggs

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin

Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, and next 4 ingredients (through pumpkin pie spice) in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine 1/2 cup water and flaxseed. Place sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add flaxseed mixture and pumpkin; beat at low speed just until blended. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Divide batter between 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. 

Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies from VeryBestBaking.com

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened

1 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Glaze (2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract combined in small bowl and stirred until smooth.)

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle glaze over cookies.

Easy Pumpkin Soup from CampbellsKitchen.com

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness® or Certified Organic)

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (Make sure to buy plain canned pumpkin and not canned pumpkin pie filling to use in this recipe.)

1 cup applesauce

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 cup heavy cream

Freshly ground black pepper 

Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.  Add the flour to the saucepan and cook and stir for 1 minute.  Stir in the broth, pumpkin, applesauce, ginger and nutmeg and heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.  Season with the black pepper.

Do you love pumpkins? Share your best pumpkin recipe! 

©iStockphoto.com/Eraxion

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Praline Pumpkin cake is my absolute fave and easy to make!

Ingredients

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix or spice cake mix
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan. In medium bowl, beat pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice with wire whisk until smooth. Pour into pan.
  • Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Pour melted butter evenly over top. 
  • Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes. 
  • To serve, cut dessert into 4 rows by 3 rows. Serve warm or chilled with dollop of whipped cream sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice. Store covered in refrigerator.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Thanks for sharing :)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I like pumpkin bread, cookies, and even pumpkin soup.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Pumpkin Pie French Toast

1 loaf sourdough bread

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 cup pumpkin pie filling

1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Slice loaf of bread into 1 inch thick slices. Should yield about 8 slices.
Mix the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and brown sugar in low flat bowl for easy dipping.

Dip the bread into the egg mixture on both sides and grill in a pan until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minute per side.

Serve with maple syrup.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I got this recipe from parents magazine. My family really likes it.

Pumpkin Surprise Pie

• 1 package (15 ounces) ready-to-roll piecrust or homemade piecrust for double-crust pie

• Cream cheese layer:

• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature

• 1/3 cup granulated sugar

• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 egg

• Pumpkin layer:

• 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)

• 3/4 cup evaporated milk

• 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar

• 2 eggs

• 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill. Unroll second crust. Using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut out 50 stars; place on baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.

2. Cream cheese layer: In a medium-size bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth. Spread evenly into bottom of piecrust.

3. Pumpkin layer: In a large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, eggs, pie spice and salt until smooth. Using a ladle, gently spoon pumpkin mixture over cream cheese mixture.

4. Brush edge of pie with egg-water wash. Overlap pastry stars around edge. Brush stars lightly with egg-water mix. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Cover edges with foil, reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.

5. Cool pie completely on rack. Refrigerate until completely chilled. Before slicing, leave out for 30 minutes.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I like this Paula Deen recipe. I added a sprinkle of chopped almonds.

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Bars:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan (can use 9x13). Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.

To make the icing:
Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Everything sounds good! Love all the recipes posted too! I am going crazy with all the pumpkin stuff out now!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM

i dont really like pumpkin but dh does he loves pumpkin bread

mackiebugsmom
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I love pumpkin. I'm going to try the French toast, cream cheese pumpkin bars and pumpkin pie surprise! Tfs :)
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I'm not huge on pumpkin either, but there are some baked goods with it that are delicious... That cookie recipe looks yummy.

Our current favorite is the baked pumpkin donuts from the King Arthur Flour website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pumpkin-cake-doughnuts-recipe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)