Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you teach your kids to tie their shoes?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 7-Year-Old Can't Tie His Shoes, But That's What Velcro Is For

posted by Mary Fischer

kid tying shoes

Ok, so I have a bit of a shameful confession to make, which is hypocritical to say because I honestly don't feel ashamed about it at all. (Or at least not all that much.)

Here goes nothing -- my 7-year-old son doesn't know how to tie his shoes, and frankly, I don't give a damn. Sure, I tried to teach him about a year ago. I went out and got him a traditional pair of lace-up sneakers, figuring it wouldn't take too terribly long for him to get the hang of things.

But then after about the umpteenth time of him coming home from school with them untied, and complaints about the teacher not having time to help him tie them at school -- I gave up and went back to his velcro kicks and haven't looked back since.

And even though in the back of my brain I fully realize that he needs to learn to tie his shoes because he's a second grader, the more I think about it, I really just don't see the point in teaching him -- because I'm not 100 percent convinced it's a skill he'll ever really need.

Here's the thing -- there are so many shoes on the market these days that don't require any sort of tying at all. From velcro, to slip on, to those little bungee tie laces you can get to put on any pair of footwear -- there are plenty of ways to skirt around having to drill the "bunny runs around the tree and jumps in a hole" bit into his brain.

And as time goes on, somehow I'm guessing shoe styles are only going to evolve even futher to cater to parents who are sick and tired of worrying about their kids tripping over their untied laces, so what if I spend hours teaching him now, and he never actually has to tie a shoe for the rest of his life? (He and I both have better things to do.)

I mean, by the time he's my age, he'll probably be able to magically tie his shoes with one tap on his iPhone. I can just picture him looking at me like I'm some sort of outdated old lady and saying, "Mom, people stopped having to tie their own shoes a long time ago. There's an app for that."

Sigh. We'll see -- maybe one of these days I'll break down and insist that he learn to tie his shoes just for the sake of being able to say my kid knows how to tie his darn shoes. 

But that can wait until he's at least eight or nine or so.

How did you teach your kids to tie their shoes?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ah ha haha....guilty of using the velcro!!!

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My husband did that:)

wingsfan1234
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM
she found aa book at the library about how to tie shoes read it once learned how in about 5 minutes ....she had just turned 7 and wanted a special pair of shoes for school but they tied so she knew she had to figure it out before school started
bwsmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Im still having issues teaching my 6 yr old how to tie .. the other boys werent this hard at all .. Ive tried teaching him with this  video .. but its just not working well for us =( ..

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM

bunny ears :)

mom2jessnky
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I didn't... a friend at school for each of them did. LOL.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I taught them to make bunny ears and knot them together. They learned knotting first though. It's fun to do with just a piece of yarn. 

elasmimi
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm still working on it with this one. Left handed kids are harder!

momofsixangels
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

slip ons

nngmommy83
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM
With DD I bought her a shoe tying book and we just practiced
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)