Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Bans Balls at Recess

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 36 Replies

School Bans Balls at Recess & Parents Are to Blame

posted by Jeanne Sager 

footballThrowing a football on the playground is a game as old as time (or at least as old as the game itself). But the pigskin has been pulled from the playground at one Long Island school because kids are getting hurt.

Oh my stars, can you imagine? A child, getting hurt?

Why, that never, ever happens in my house. Uh uh. There are no skinned knees here. No bug bites either. And certainly not anything that may require a Band-Aid. Why, we're just like every other house with an elementary schooler -- absolutely accident-free. Wait, that's what your house is like, right? RIGHT?

Alright, alright, I'll admit it.

That's all a load of horse manure.

Yes, my 8-year-old gets hurt sometimes. Of course she does! She's 8! And she's a human being! She got a knock on the noggin at soccer practice a few weeks ago. And there's a bruise on her knee from something or other that happened at the park.

So what did I do about it? Tell her she can't go to the park anymore because she might get hurt? Pull her out of soccer immediately?

Nope and nope. I checked her to make sure it was nothing serious and sent her back out to live her life because, sometimes, we get hurt. And unless you want your kid to miss out on pretty much everything fun in life, you've got to tell them to buck up!

Unfortunately, schools can't tell kids to buck up. Every time you turn around, they're getting sued. And so every time you turn around, another absolutely ridiculous ban is being put in place.

That's the type of thing the folks at Weber Middle School in Port Washington, New York seem to be indicating, right? Kids are getting hurt; they don't want to get sued, so they're banning footballs.

Normal parents like me get angry with the schools, but is it really their fault? Or is it the fault of the parents who won't just tell their kids to buck up? Who won't accept that kids getting hurt is a part of life?

Maybe the answer isn't in banning footballs (or tag) but in asking the rest of us if we'll sign a waiver that our kids CAN play with footballs ... and we're OK with the normal bumps and bruises of childhood. It's not a perfect option; the much more preferable one would be parents who just stopped being so sue happy and kids who understood that one little bump is not the end of the world. 

But this is where we are, folks. We have schools banning FOOTBALLS, and we parents have to stand up for common sense, have to do something for our kids. A waiver protects the schools, and it protects our kids from a fate far worse than a skinned knee: missing out on childhood.

Would you sign a waiver like this?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Kids get hurt. As long as there is no negligence on the part of the school/teacher then that's life! People are so sue crazy! I think they should make it to where if you file a frivolous lawsuit, and lose, you pay them the amount you were suing for.
hugss
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This .. so sad :(

Quoting kcangel63:

Kids get hurt. As long as there is no negligence on the part of the school/teacher then that's life! People are so sue crazy! I think they should make it to where if you file a frivolous lawsuit, and lose, you pay them the amount you were suing for.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

OMG people are way too sue happy these days let kids play!!!!!!!!!!!

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I hate stupid rules!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Very dumb...Sad you have to sign a waver for a kid to play ball at recess...
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Ditto. :(

Quoting kcangel63:

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

This country is so messed up. People have lost sight of personal responsibility & the fact that accidents happen. Kids get hurt. That's just part of life. As long as the school isn't being negligent (and I hardly considering playing ball at recess to be negligent) there is no reason to sue. 

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

This is a stupid rule.  I say let the kids play.  When I was in school they didn't ban balls during recess, the teachers in charge of recess just made the kids, that were becoming to agressive,  take a time out.  If a kid didn't follow the rules of playground safety, they didn't get to play.  I don't get why schools have to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

That is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

#1 There's no way to remember if a child's parent signed that waiver or not without taking the time out of the day to go over every students record.

#2 The nerf balls CAN still hurt

#3 I sprained my ankle by stepping on a classmate's foot. I wasn't running. I wasn't playing with a ball. I wasn't doing anything more that walking, and he wasn't doing anything more than standing. Heck, I've fallen and bruised my tail just walking in a store WITHOUT stepping on/tripping over anything.

luvtread
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I am from Canada and this same issue has come up at my son's school several times. The principal has banned balls and now, the kids are not sure what to do at recess. I believe that balls should certainly be allowed but perhaps there needs to be a little more supervision if there is an issue (it could cut down on bullying as well). Fortunately (at least as of yet) we don't seem to have had anyone being sued but that certainly could happen. I would certainly sign a waiver although I think it is a shame if it comes to that, but kids do needed exercise and fun, you are right, they certainly shouldn't miss out on these important times. thanks. Jennifer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)