Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What tips do you have to stretch your holiday budget?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 130 Replies

Whether it's making a list (and checking it twice) or hitting the sales leading up to the holidays, moms look for new ways to make that dollar go even further.  Some moms may even find that spreading out their shopping over a few weeks, allows them to focus on a few people at a time without getting overwhelmed.

What tips do you have to make sure that dollar goes even further this holiday shopping season?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmandaMichele
by New Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I make sure I compare multiple places as well as price matching and shopping sales.
KW1280
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I compare shop online and look for quality. I use coupons and look for deals of the day.
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I have 3 kids. Shylah (girl) is 6, Lilly (girl) is 3, and Allistair (boy) 9 months. Seems like every year Christmas seems to cost more and more lmao. I know it is because as kids get older, the stuff they want costs more. Our son will be having his first Christmas this year too.

What I have found in the past that has helped us sooo much on saving money, is I shop clearance leading up to Christmas. Then, as it gets closer, I start comparing prices in stores and online to find the best price for the toys my kids want. 

johnny4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Compare online & ads and watch for coupons!

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Did you get the toy coupons last week? I know I am going to be using a lot of those lol.

Quoting KW1280:

I compare shop online and look for quality. I use coupons and look for deals of the day.

tntmomof2
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I make a list of what I want to get. I put a lot on layaway so I have time to look for a cheaper price but still won't risk not being able to find those items closer to Xmas. I keep an eye on prices of things on the kids lists starting in september and compare those prices to cyber Monday or Black Friday prices. Many times the better deals (especially electronics) are a week BEFORE Black Friday. 

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I really buy a few things. I used to buy a bunch of stuff spending money that doesnt need to be spend. My dd is 10 and she wants a teddy bear, a doll and a basketball..

My son wants a computer..

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I like to buy actual gifts instead of gift cards because I can find good deals on the items but with a gift card I have to spend that about. I can spend $20 on a gift card OR get them a $20 item for much less through price matching, coupons and sale shopping.
LNLMommy
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

We have to shop for 5 children so making the dollar stretch is very important to us. We take inventory of the toys/clothes that they already have and what they actually play with or wear. No sense in duplicating things. We also pair up with the grandparents to make sure we won't buy the same things. Every child gets one "big" present and then supplement with other smaller gifts. 

KW1280
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Actually I am going for the jewelry for my daughter. Then for my toddler clothes. He has too many toys thanks to big sis lol

Quoting ashleymosq:

Did you get the toy coupons last week? I know I am going to be using a lot of those lol.

Quoting KW1280:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN