What tips do you have to stretch your holiday budget?

Posted by   + Show Post

Whether it's making a list (and checking it twice) or hitting the sales leading up to the holidays, moms look for new ways to make that dollar go even further.  Some moms may even find that spreading out their shopping over a few weeks, allows them to focus on a few people at a time without getting overwhelmed.

What tips do you have to make sure that dollar goes even further this holiday shopping season?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (121-130):
Jessica79
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I'm just careful, hit sales as best I can, and make homemade gifts, too.

dingysfamily
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We save throughout the year and we set a budget for each kid & grandkid, plus anyone else we do buy for and we stick to it.  We put each other at the end of our shopping list.  Whenever possible we buy below the budgeted price when we can find the wanted gift at a sale price under budget ... and I do look for that; although our older grandkids generally prefer gc, so then they just get the budgeted amount.

NWP
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

We give the grandparents and each other sentimental gifts...Each set of grandparents gets a photobook of the year's best photos and a set of photo christmas ornaments with updated pics. I have the kids make something for them and for us. DH and I try to give each other "experience" gifts, like a weekend in a B&B that we can cash in on valentines day or our anniversary, making it count for two holidays! 

teaandcookies
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I start shopping on Boxin Day.  I look at the new expensive in toys that I would never cash out the bucks for, and that is the big tickets for next year.  I start buying att of the baking goods inSept, and that only leaves the fresh ingredients to buy the week of Xmas.

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don't even try.

We have a budget and we fit what we need to buy into it, or we don't buy it.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I like shopping online it's easier to find the cheapest price.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Coupons, coupon codes help us save so much!!

bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM

We compare prices in store and online.  Dh checks the online sales daily and looks for items on our list.

Mami2oneboy
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Sales!!!!

MomtoAlexis05
Enjoying my time in :" Time Out for You " please come join us.......!!!!!
Tuesday at 9:13 PM
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

You can take your child and make your own wrapping paper out of paper bags and have them decorate w/ art supplies~~get creative, wrap w/ comic section of the neswpaper, recycle paper, ribbon, bows, Pinterest has alot of handmade ideas, just purchase the materials at a bit of a discount at discount shops rather than crafting stores etc. Buy generic when it comes to food, they may not notice anyhow ~~Carrie~~ giving mom gift

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: