Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turtle-knowing moms! Halp!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 14 Replies
We were going to buy a turtle setup and ONE turtle but were waiting til we had the cash. Meanwhile, found the exact setup we want on Craigslist, for about the same amount as in-store but it came with the stand, big dock, and lots of supplies. Plus TWO turtles and six goldfish (funny story bout the goldfish...). So they are male and female. They can't really make babies in captivity without us taking certain steps, right? There's no nest box or anything, and the temperature is constant.

Yesterday I saw the male do that thing with his claws (fanning?) to the female's face and just now I walked in to see them uhhh, stacked up but not really *doing* anything. I don't want turtle babies!
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM

lol I dont think they can reproduce in captivity but they could still "have fun" lol ;)  maybe ask someone at a petshop. I think they might be able to even lay eggs, but no babies will come out.  Sorry I dont have much info, I never had a couple... just one.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Lol thanks. I don't mind if they have fun.

Quoting yvonne37:

lol I dont think they can reproduce in captivity but they could still "have fun" lol ;)  maybe ask someone at a petshop. I think they might be able to even lay eggs, but no babies will come out.  Sorry I dont have much info, I never had a couple... just one.

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yes they can and do reproduce in captivity.  I've read where some will try even if they don't have a nest box.

Mznaye
by Jo on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I dont know but here's a bump
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

oh yes they can have babies ! my neighbor had got a pair didnt know it was male and female and then one day had eggs and then a fews weeks had a bunch of babies he brought all the babies back to the pet shop 

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Mobile Photo

BTW here they are: Swapper (K has wanted to name a turtle that for lord knows how long and lord knows why) and Miss Piggy (or Mrs. Piggy depending on who you ask).
MamaMandee
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM
They are so pretty! We have 1 turtle here.

Quoting heydooney:

Mobile Photo

BTW here they are: Swapper (K has wanted to name a turtle that for lord knows how long and lord knows why) and Miss Piggy (or Mrs. Piggy depending on who you ask).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Not sure but they are cute!

Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

no idea

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don't know much but they are super cool!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)