Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Boo-utiful Halloween Decor

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

I love living in an apartment. Love it, love having the super that takes care of those clogs and leaks. Love that Kiddo meets and greets folks in the elevator each morning and afternoon. Love our view over the rooftops and the Hudson River.

But (oh you knew that was coming, didn't you?) when the holidays roll around, I do find myself a little bit of HDE. Holiday Décor Envy. I just don't have the yard or the space to do a lot of holiday decorating. The first one that kicks off semi-minor pangs of HDE? Halloween. I mean, this is the fun one, folks, when you can go all out and just enjoy the pure madness and silliness and fun of the holiday.

Alas, I won't let my HDE get in the way of illuminating the wonderful Halloween decor I have spotted all over the Internet lately. Forget those store-bought, pre-made plastic trinkets. See about making a few of these to really boo-st the scary scene in your abode.

If you are having a little Halloween soiree, why not make a spook-rific centerpiece for the table? These black paper flowers are perfect to create that eerie look...and they are so easy to make with just floral wire, tape and some black streamers. Find out more over on Country Living.  

I really hate spiders. REALLY hate them, but even I would take a big gulp and create this for a front porch scary spider dude. The folks at Spoonful.com have made a perfect step-by step guide. It really isn't hard...what is hard? Making sure Mama doesn't get the heebie-jeebies looking at it.

The queen of craftiness, Martha Stewart, brings us this fabulously chic, yet quite creepy wreath idea. Subtle yet can get those neck hairs standing up. Get some vinyl snakes, a wreath and black paint, you are good to scare those trick-or-treaters. Read the details at MarthaStewart.com.

How cool is this for an entryway? I know...I really want to make it. Centsationalgirl.com gives us the lowdown on how to do it with a frame from Kmart or even a thrift store, foam board, chalkboard paint, chalk, and twinkle lights. I think you could do something similar and less scary for Christmas too...just thinking...

Forget orange -- white is the new look for pumpkins. When you paint even the stems, it gives the little orbs a ghoulish effect. Pop in a votive and you have a spook-tacular grouping for a mantle or table. FamilyCircle.com has tons more ideas on how to make your pumpkins super-scary.

How do you decorate for Halloween? Do you go all out or just carve a pumpkin?

©iStockphoto.com/ chromatika       

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2lilmamas
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Thats cool. Yes I add stuff on my door. Put decorations on my window. Simple but cool enough.
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

We put some window clings on our front door and windows and the kids draped a spider web over our bush. Hubby hung a scary door knocker up and a skeleton and I put 2 mini scarecrows out in the front yard. The kids carved a pumpkin which we set out on the stoop during the day and take it in at night. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Those are great :)

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Great stuff! We go ALL out both inside & out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twnkedee
by Tia on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM

We decorate more "Disneyish" for Halloween. My kids were big fans of that style growing up so we continue it today. It's more of a toned down style.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM

cool stuff.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Cool
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Great ideas. We don't decorate too much. I have a few decorations in the house and out at the front door. We also decorated my big window on the front side of the house.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

i used to "go all out" but the last few years i've started cutting back.  while everyone is so gung-ho about decoration no one wants to help me put stuff up.  so i simple don't put out as much anymore.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Love the picture! We will carve a pumpkin and the kids put out a spider web in the front yard

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)