Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Best Family Halloween Costumes

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

We have friends who love Halloween. Truly, beyond a doubt, love it. Not only do they go all out with decorations and plan spooky pranks, yes, they are hard-core when it comes to their costumes. One year, they dressed up as the crash of the Titanic. Mom and Dad were crewmembers, their five-year-old son was the Titanic, and their two-year-old daughter was...the iceberg. It was beyond brilliant. 

Always an inspiration, they got me thinking about great family or group costumes. Sure, more than likely, your daughter will want to be Doc McStuffins and your son will yearn for that superhero cape, but maybe, just maybe, you can toss some of these ideas out there and get them on board...convincing your husband? That's a different story.

Grunge rock band - Grab those flannel shirts and jeans, toss on a handkerchief headband, some fake tattoos and you are ready to go. Bonus points if you learn a song or two and make it Halloween Karaoke.

Pigs in a blanket - Each of your get a pig nose and then wrap yourself in a blanket...done! You are pigs in blankets. Oinking is optional.

French burglars - All you need are black pants, black berets black and white striped shirt (or a white shirt with electrical tape stripes) and a swath of black fabric with eye holes cut out as a mask. Be sneaky and stealthy as you score that candy loot!

Christmas carolers - Break out those Santa hats and crazy Christmas sweaters a little early. Don them, print out some sheet music from any random music website and head out. "Jingle bells" and get some candy!

Now, if your kids are all set...here's an easy one for you: cover yourself in nametags with various names written on them. You are an identity crisis!

Do you and your family dress up for Halloween? What's the best Halloween costume you've seen recently?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ dosecreative        

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We haven't in the past, but we were considering dressing up this year.  The best family costume I saw was Popeye, Olive Oyl and Sweet Pea.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Oldest dressed up as a girl & looked awesome :)

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
We all dress up every year but none has ever wanted to do a family costume.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM

just the kids dress up.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM

My baby is going to be a bumble bee and my DH said he wanted to be a bee keeper and he suggested I be a flower.  lol  Our oldest is Tinkerbell, she doesn't want to participate in our silliness.  She told DH that he can dress up like a "man" and mommy can be a "witch".  Is she insulting us?  lol

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We always do family theme at least while they are young and still agree to it!   LOL We did Star Trek crew members, Sesame Street with hubby and I as Bert & Ernie and our daughters as Elmo and his pet fish Dorothy (she was a baby and I decorated a onesie & hat), We did Cat in the Hat with hubby as the cat and our girls as Thing 1 and Thing 2 and I was Mrs cat with the goldfish in the bowl.  We also did animal theme with hubby as a lion, I was a parrot and our girls were a monkey and a tiger.  This year we are doing bug theme with hubby as a spider, I will be a dragonfly, they will be a butterfly and bumblebee and we'll see if we can get the dog to keep the ladybug costume on!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM

How about you dress up like a fairy too and get hubby to dress up like the pixie dust caretaker and you can just use gold glitter for that, he can wear brown pants a brown belt and just cut up a green T-shirt on the bottom and sleeves and make a green felt hat!  Done! You can cut up a yellow T-shirt into a fairy dress and get a rainbow of ribbons and a flashlight wrapped with green felt and be a light fairy!  The wings are a pain in the butt to make with wire hangers though but once that's done, white opaque pantyhose and decorate with paint and glitter!

Quoting momofnatalie:

My baby is going to be a bumble bee and my DH said he wanted to be a bee keeper and he suggested I be a flower.  lol  Our oldest is Tinkerbell, she doesn't want to participate in our silliness.  She told DH that he can dress up like a "man" and mommy can be a "witch".  Is she insulting us?  lol

twnkedee
by Tia on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM

We have never done costumes as a family, only the kids.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM

We dont.Just the kids do

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM

i want to do a family theme one year but we havent yet :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)