Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Lists That Work / Confessions of a Horrible Shopper

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to confess: I'm a horrible shopper. I don't really like doing it and I'm not good at it, at all. Especially not grocery shopping or even shopping for shoes or something necessary. If anything, I do enjoy shopping for gifts for others, which is always fun, or for the really rare events like a best friend's wedding, when I have a great excuse to go buy something special that I never usually buy, or wear. But no matter whether I am getting ready to embark on every-day hum-drum grocery or pharmacy shopping, or looking ahead to more exciting, and fun, holiday gift shopping, I always like to make lists.

Embarrassing confession #2: I don't usually remember to bring the list, and if I do, I lose it half way through my shopping trip, or I drop it while I'm running out the door, or my dog eats it (seriously). In the odd event none of these pathetic occurrences take place, confession #3: my list is usually so messy, with things written sideways, crossed out, in five different pens, crayons and markers, with question marks and other notes to self scribbled all around it, that I give up trying to decipher it half way through the super market or just get dizzy rushing back and forth across the isles from fruit to cereal back to fruit, to bread isle, back to veggies, then dairy - I think you see my style. I have actually tried once buying those pre-printed shopping list notepads, where you just check things off, but I found that maddening and useless for me as well, because there were a million things on there I didn't need which I kept seeing in front of me, and it took me longer to figure out what I did need, in the end.

So I've finally come up with a working solution: Making lists on LINED paper which I split up, first, into sections, and even subsections if my list is going to be huge, like this: PRODUCE: fruit, then veggies. DAIRY; FROZEN FOODS; CLEANING PRODUCTS, and so on. And, if you do this in the order you usually shop (depending where you enter your usual stores, what's near the register and exit, or in-between), you can just fold your paper over as you go through the list. Genius, right?! Another idea, if your lists are really long and you know your markets well, is to split things up, by isle, like BAKING ISLE AND BREAD; COOKIES AND CRACKERS; CHIPS AND DIPS; HALLOWEEN CANDY, CARDS AND DECOR; etc.

And as far as the much more exciting, but sometimes more challenging and definitely more time-consuming holiday gift shopping, the one piece of solid advice I have to share is something my adorable husband does: make a list, throughout the year, that you keep on a little secret slip of paper in your wallet or purse, where you jot down any ideas of things people need or things they mention they have been wishing for or looking for. This way, when the holidays approach, you'll have plenty of ideas for great, useful gifts for those close to you, and you can even do some of your hunting online from the comfort of your couch, if you chose, instead of fighting crowds and rushing all over, searching for ideas.

The one last list advice I have to add is, if you feel so inclined, there are several apps, both free or paid, that help you create lists. Personally, I enjoy having a few minutes away from staring at a screen when I shop, so I don't do that, but I know moms who do, and rely on this. The lists will show you what you buy often, or suggest things you might need, which is cool too. Just search for Shopping List in your app finder or app store.

Do you make shopping lists, and how do they work, for you?

© iStockphoto.com/hayatikayhan  

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been making them lately and helps keep me in line while shopping so I don't over spend

LnAsMommy
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I keep a paper on the fridge and add things as I run out. I also meal plan and write down all the ingredients I will need then I "grocery shop" in my own pantry and cross off what I already have.
It takes some time, but I only shop every 2 weeks so I have to make sure I get everything I need each time!
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I do not normally make a list. I just wing it =)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

if i go shopping without my husband the lists work, if he goes though i might as well throw the list out the window.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I make them and they work great for me.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I do this too sometimes.

Quoting Mznaye:

Sometimes I use the coupons as a "list".

bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Today at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Lists .. yeah i make them .. however i never follow them lol !!

MamaMandee
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I use lists for tons of things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy_dawn
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I always need a list, or I'll forget everything but the junk food I don't need. I've recently discovered a grocery list online that I could print off to fill out. This is my third week and shopping is so much easier with everything already split up (no lines in the sections, so there's room for a lot of items.
Ladyisis
by Jenn on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Oh yes I make shopping lists all the times, if I don't then I forget things at the store. I make a grocery list and then lists for other things I need. I even make Christmas lists. These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN