Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: It's HOW many days 'til Christmas?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know, I know, I know...you are reading the title thinking, "C'mon, Heather! It isn't even Halloween or Thanksgiving yet!" It's not just me, folks, I've already seen holiday decorations for sale in stores.

Seriously, the holidays will be here before you know it...there are 71 days until HoHoHo day. But we all know we need to be done before then. When you think about it, there are 46 days until December 1, which is around the time I usually start decorating, and 60 days until December 14 when probably you would want to be done buying gifts -- or at least those gifts you need to ship or send, eh?

Also on my personal plate: Hanukkah. Which arrives this year on November 27...that's right at Thanksgiving, folks. A mere 43 days away. Even before Black Friday, so this interfaith mama has to start buying gifts sooner rather than later. 

So, yeah, the holidays are on my radar big time. The last few years, I haven't been as good about being aware of the calendar. The result? We didn't take advantage of cool holiday-ish festivities, and I paid more in shipping than I should have. Right. My falalalalalas were foiled all because the calendar just seemed to zoom along.

Hence, this post. To remind all of us (and myself) to start that planning now. Maybe start making a list of giftees, perhaps checking websites to find out when the tree lighting and Christmas choral concerts are happening.

Are you starting to think about the holidays? What is the first thing you do to start to get ready? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Devonyu          

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-35):
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Im already way ahead of you. I started a layaway last week.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We normally decorate Thanksgiving weekend and we start shopping probably the first week of November.

WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I usually don't start thinking about Christmas until Black Friday, but this year, dh and I decided to get a jump on our holiday shopping.  We decided to purchase a Wii U as our family gift this year, and they are a pain to find during the holiday shopping season as they are usually sold out. Last year, just trying to find wii games for the kids was near impossible, because the ones they wanted were out of stock in most stores by the 2nd week of December.  We also ordered a Stand mixer for my MIL and a pasta maker attachement for my mother  for her mixer. The attachment is a pain in the butt to find, and they had them on sale at Walmart for $50 less than what they usually cost.  We also ordered lego advent calanders for the kids. Dh got them last year and they were a hit.  The kids are also getting a couple of small lego sets for christmas.  Most of our family is getting gift cards this year, and I just plan to get my kids clothes, pjs and stocking stuffers to top off the list. i might try to purchase a couple of toys that they wanted. Not sure yet.

Jessica79
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM

YAY!!!!!!

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Yes we are thinking about gifts for the holidays. We usually do some Christmas shopping starting on October all the way through the first week of December. We will be decorating for Christmas the first or second week of November too. It usually too cold to wait and decorate after Thanksgiving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80