Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White Cane Safety Day When : October 15th (do you know someone who is blind?)

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

White Cane Safety Day

When : October 15th

White Cane Safety Day celebrates and recognizes the achievements of the blind and visually impaired, and their independence. That independence is represented by the white cane that they use to travel from place to place.

The white cane is an invaluable tool for the blind. It affords blind people a freedom of movement they otherwise may not have. The white cane is a well recognized symbol of independence.

If you know someone who is blind or visually impaired, celebrate this day with him or her. We suggest you let them take you for a walk.

Origin of White Cane Safety Day:

On October 15, 1964, a Joint resolution of Congress passed legislation marking this day. President Lyndon Johnson immediately issued a proclamation declaring this day to be White Cane Safety Day. This is an annual proclamation.

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

i have met a few ppl who were blind but i dont really know anyone long term/friend who is blind

EbonySnow
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I did not know that, thats awesome

MamaMandee
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Cool, I do not know anyone who is blind. But I was super impressed by thr blind lady who won Masterchef 2 seasons ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My aunt is almost completely blind/

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I see one man walking almost every time I go on our local trail. He is blind, and he has both a cane and a guide dog. I don't know anyone else, and I certainly don't know him well enough for anything other than a polite hello.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I remember an old man that was blind. I used to see him walk around in our neighborhood with his guide dog

Mznaye
by Jo on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM
My paternal grandfather was blind. People outside the family didn't know it though. I had a cousin that was blind also
taniamorse85
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM
My favorite science professor in college was blind. She didn't use a white cane, though. She had a gorgeous guide dog, a collie, as well as a student aide who handed out paperwork and called on students who raised their hands. I was a bit surprised to see a collie as a guide dog, since they tend to have such a high energy level, but she was so well-behaved. She generally slept under the professor's desk, but she was ready to act the moment the professor moved even slightly.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I dont know anyone personally

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Interesting, tfs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN