Group Home

Is it bad if I let my kids skip school sometimes?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 217 Replies

So, we are lucky enough to live in Southern California and because we can, we have annual passes to Disneyland.

The problem, though, is that the black-out dates are extensive--and we can only get into the park on weekdays--and not at all during the summer.

My daughter's in a charter school (public) and does most of her course-work at home.  She is supposed to do school every day.  They're very particular about attendance.  

But I'm not very particular about attendance if she gets all her work done.  I'll have her do all her work the day before and the day after and then . . . in between, we'll go to Disneyland. Only once every month or maybe every other month. 

Do you ever pull your kids out of school to do something fun? 

Most schools frown on it but I don't see what the big deal is if your kids are doing well and keeping up.  What do you think?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its OK as long as its not all the time and they are keeping up.  Though sometimes the social aspect is important so you don't want them missing those interactions. 

That being said-we let them skip for one day for a long weekend of camping the last week in Sept. . .

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I think it's ok,
They will still be learning while there.
Nothing like a fun family being together ;)

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

We missed a day going into a different country for the weekend.  We used that time to learn stuff in real life.    You could incorporate education into the amusement park.  Math is everywhere.  What grade is she in?

callmemaybe
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

We missed a day going into a different country for the weekend.  We used that time to learn stuff in real life.    You could incorporate education into the amusement park.  Math is everywhere.  What grade is she in?

She's in 5th grade. 

callmemaybe
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Vertical15:

I think its OK as long as its not all the time and they are keeping up.  Though sometimes the social aspect is important so you don't want them missing those interactions. 

That being said-we let them skip for one day for a long weekend of camping the last week in Sept. . .

Oh, she's not missing anything social . . . this public charter school is kind of like homeschool, so it's just her and me at home all day anyway.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Not at all everyone needs a day off even kids. I do that every so often and take my dd to the zoo or the museum of natural science and I know she learns more at te museum then she would in school so it's more like a field trip. And hell last year they took a field trip to the zoo lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM

i don't think it's bad. if she's keeping up her grades and the work gets done, i don't see the problem.

KellyFlavis
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I do not think it’s okay to take them out of school for an entire week to, say, go to Disney. That’s what summer is for. A week is too much. It doesn’t matter how much you save. If money during vacation periods is an issue then you need to revisit vacation plans and what is doable on your budget. However, I have done a day or two here and there last year for my son but those were all family related.  I wouldn’t go longer than 2 days though.

heldcaptiveby2
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Yes I do, I just took my kids out of school for a week for a family vacation to GWL. I didnt want to have to deal with the weekend crowds. My kids had a blast and it was easier for my son he has special needs.
joeannaanthony
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM
4 moms liked this

Schools lose state aid when you take your kid out of school, so keep that in mind when your taxes go up. And the US has one of the shortest school years in the world already–the kids get a huge number of days off, and then the entire summer. Use the time they have already or you’re sending a message about how much you value their school time. It’s not just about their grades.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80