Smarter Family: Planning Ahead for the Holidays

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

As Halloween approaches fast, and Thanksgiving trails just weeks after, the holiday season is officially around the corner and for many moms, that often means one thing: start panicking soon. Why? Because for some odd reason, as if our to-do lists were not endless enough, moms are usually the ones planning holiday parties, sending invitations and scheduling things, checking on special menu needs of eldery relatives, or kids with food allergies, etc. Moms are usually also the ones doing all the shopping, not just for the holiday meals, but for all the little details too, like Halloween treats, goody bags, home décor, gifts, wrapping paper, ribbon, and so on.

One key to making your life easier, as a mom, if you are tackling all this and more, in addition to your usual full schedule, is to plan ahead in a few different ways. Here are ways that have really helped me to gear up early for the holidays and ensure that I not only don't forget anything important, but also get most if it done ahead of time so that I can sit back (preferably by a nice fire), and enjoy myself with everyone close to me instead of freaking out the whole time.

1) Start making lists now, and start picking things up that you'll need for the holidays when you see them, as you go about your usual grocery shopping / other shopping routines. For instance, make a Halloween list ASAP and just grab the candy next time you buy milk, and a few decorations too. And you're done for that holiday already! Make a thanksgiving list, or start one, on your phone, so that you can add things as you think of them but pick up non-perishable and canned items now, when you see them (and if they're on sale now even better!) My list includes things like dried cranberries, raisins and cherries; canned pumpkin; frozen gluten free piecrusts (not always easy to find) and flour; sugar; sprinkles; frosting; dried mushrooms, and so on. I'm adding larger items like wine and soda or juice, and napkins so that I remember to think ahead and grab these on a light shopping day, and avoid being stuck with needing a million things, half of them really heavy and bulky, the other sold out, the week before I plan to feed and host 8-12 people.

2) Another good way to plan ahead is to start keeping an eye out for gifts for your loved ones now. The other day I needed to get my kid new boots, for instance, and I saw some of my husbands favorite sox, so I got him some new ones for Christmas. That's one thing done. I also saw several great books to give as gifts while I was hanging out with my friend who is an author, and I wrote those down so I can order them from Amazon.com soon too.

3) Set things aside in a specific place as you gather them, and check them off your list. I hide Christmas and birthday gifts in my closet, for instance, I have Halloween candy up high on a kitchen shelf, and I'm compiling the items for holidays coming up in other cabinets. This way, I don't buy something for Thanksgiving but use it by accident another night, or lose a Christmas gift I bought 2 months early.

By simply keep things organized, you'll be amazed how quickly you feel more relaxed, prepared and ready to truly enjoy your holidays this year with just a little bit of long-term planning ahead, and a few phone lists you can carry with you over time everywhere you go.

Do you do most of the holiday planning and shopping in your family? How do you plan ahead so that you can also have some time to relax?

© iStockphoto.com/marcelmooij

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I do the planning and shopping.  I buy presents as I see them during the year, and have a closet that they get stored in. I make a lot of lists, so nothing gets overlooked.

alf2651
by Amanda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I do the planning and the shopping. I make plans at least a week or so in advance, make some lists and then stick to the lists. The only thing I don't plan is the family Christmas party. Thanksgiving is planned between my MIL and I. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

twnkedee
by Tia on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I am a list lover! I make lists for everything! Helps keep me organized! I do most of the planning and shopping so lists really help me.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I do. We all make wishlists for xmas which makes shopping much easier
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, usually when we buy the kids presents hubby and I will go out together when the kids are away for the weekend. I also go out with MIL to buy things for the kiddos. For my parents I usually give them a list of what the kids want and they will go buy it i their hometown.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Normally I am half way done with Christmas shopping but due to health issues I have not picked up a thing. It's really starting me out too. I want to try and go this weekend and out a few things in layaway, we plan on getting our dd a computer for Christmas as she uses one almost daily for school and homework. I only know of Wal-Mart to do this.
I do a lot of my shopping on black Friday and have for the last 15 years, again not sure if I will be able to go this year.
Halloween I don't need candy, no treaters come here. Thanksgiving has always been at mom's but she passed last November do I'm not sure we will even do it.
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I do almost all of it.  I did tell DH that he is in charge of Halloween treats since he'll be eating whatever is leftover.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do.  I'm usually stressed and have no time to relax and enjoy the holidays, but it's going to be different this year since it's the first year that my dd will be in school all day.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I do it all together.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I start shopping for gifts in the fall, but it still always feels like I'm going down to the wire.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: