Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Get the outside of your house ready for winter!

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

I realized just the other day that both my husband and kiddo are in need of new winter coats. They both had ones that have been around for a few seasons, and now she has outgrown hers and he, well, out-wore his. Even though it's still pretty nice out and not too, too chilly yet, it's good to plan ahead for these things, no?

Same goes for your abode. There's nothing worse than grabbing your snow blower when Mother Nature just dumped 12 inches and remembering it conked out last November. Before the later-fall/winter season hits, go around the outside of your home and take note of what you need to do to get ready (we'll have a checklist of stuff you need to do for the inside of your abode next week).

-- Cover that furniture. If you have patio furniture, most can stay outside, but it needs to be properly protected. You can buy relatively inexpensive covers from many home stores. Some lighter chairs should be taken indoors so as not to get toppled or damaged by heavy snowfall. One cool idea for a patio table: place a pail or bucket upside-down on the table and then cover it. This way, rain will run off and prevent the forming of a heavy ice layer that could crack it.

-- Turn off the outside water. One of the main issues homeowners have in the winter is broken pipes. Shut off the water to the outside areas, and then run all of them to empty out the pipes. Gather up those hoses (empty them too!) and stash them in the garage until Spring.

-- Clear out the flowers beds. If you have a lot of leaves and sticks that have fallen recently, clear them out now, before they get covered with snow. While you are at it, aerate that soil to make next spring easier for your flowers to bloom.

-- Locate all of your winter equipment. Where's that snow blower, the leftover rock salt from last year, all of the de-icers things for the windshields? Test those that need testing and stock up on what you know you will use. 

-- Clear out those gutters. If old debris is left there and freezes up, it can really wreck your gutters. Possibly think about getting mesh covers to prevent it. Oh, and be sure to be safe if you are climbing ladders (always helps to have a buddy around).

What do you do to get the outside of your home ready for winter? When did you last clean out your gutters?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ drxy      

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

My SO just cleaned out our gutters and covered the air conditioners last week.  We need to do some raking, but there's still a lot of leaves that are going to come down.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Gardenias inside,
Hose disconnected & aprinklers turned off

LifeCafe42
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Hose and I bought my salt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:00 AM

We don't have harsh winters so we just fertilize the lawn and rake the leaves.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

we check the gutters and clean them twice a year, cant wait to have enough money to buy the covers for them this way it will be much easier.  I also go around checking the windows and making sure there is no gaps.  Inside we change the heater filter.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I have never cleaned my gutters. I really need to do that. We don't do a lot to prep for winter because our winter isn't bad.
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM
need to turn off the outside water
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We've never done anything, including to our sprinkler system.  I'm sure one day it'll bite us but so far we've been fine.

lasombrs
by Sara on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM
We are doing the clean up now. Then will work on finding all the shovels and gloves. When we get our new place we will seal the windows too
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We will clean the gutters after all the leaves fall...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)