Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Non-candy ideas for Halloween

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

Halloween is next week, folks! Who's been up late sewing or glue-gunning that Obi Wan Kenobi or minion from Despicable Me costume? Right. I've been there. In years past, I've been up way too late assembling various cat costumes. This year, she's opted to dress as Rainbow Dash, but the girl version from the My Little Pony movie, mind you. Took a lot of surfing around and various purchases and getting some hair chalk to make her hair rainbow, but no sewing save a small rainbow patch.

What hasn't changed this year? Our repeated conversations about candy. As you may have read in a few of my musings here, my daughter has a nut allergy. She cannot eat any tree nuts or peanuts, and we avoid things processed on a facility with nuts. She's pretty vocal about it and really good about asking about ingredients, but it is still tough to go along when most of her buds can eat everything tossed in their bag, and she has to just eat the same old candies I've pre-stashed in her black cat candy tote.

Knowing how tough it is, I try to help those trick-or-treaters coming that are in the same boat as she by handing out non-candy treats. I steer clear of the pencils and erasers, just so it's a true treat, not something they will use for homework. On my list:

-- Spooky whistles

-- Halloween-themed plastic jewelry, like those black spider rings

-- Small flashlights

-- Temporary tattoos (Kiddo and her buddies love these)

-- Mini notebooks and Halloween little stamps.

-- Bouncing balls (larger than 4")

-- Glow sticks (always a hit)

-- Key chains to hang from backpack zippers

-- Halloween-themed plastic cups

-- Mini playing cards

-- Glow-in-the-dark bracelets

What is your favorite item to pass out at Halloween? Do you give out non-candy items?

ŠiStockphoto.com/NickRH

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I dont generally but I do like the idea.  Stickers are always a hit with kids as well.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

i'd honestly prefer to just get candy. the small plastic toys tend to just add to the never ending clutter of toys :/

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM

We pass out candy but also stickers,little toys

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Stickers and temp tattoos are cool to give.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We don't normally pass out candy for halloween. We are usually out trick or treating during the same time. 

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

we give out candy & stickers.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We don't get any trick or treaters since we live on a rural road with no sidewalks.

nana9106
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
We hand out Candy and little toys
Ladyisis
by Jenn on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

We usually don't pass out candy since we are usually our trick or treating with our daughter. Plus, we live in an apartment building and we never get trick or treaters. These are good ideas though.

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The glow in the dark bracelets is a really cute idea. My girls would love those! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN