Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Spooky Grown Up Fun

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

I don't know about you, but I sometimes still miss being able to enjoy more grown-up fun like I did before I became a mom, five years ago. And, since I did not get to enjoy Halloween as a kid, I keep thinking it could be really cool to have an adult Halloween bash, and come up with a whole mix of spooky surprises for guests to enjoy. I have not decided to throw a party yet, but I have been thinking of and collecting ideas for when the time seems righ, and I would love to hear any ideas you have to share for a spooky adult party too!

As far as food, I have come up with a couple of thoughts like pasta with squid ink, which makes it look black, and seafood (because the flavors go together, not because that's spooky) and devils food cake with blood red raspberry sauce. I'm thinking you could also serve weird scary things to eat like pigs feet, animal brains or intestines, even chicken feet even, but I'm kind of grossed out by that even if my husband will eat any of it. (I know, that's the whole idea, of course, but I just don't want to cook or touch those, personally!)

For beverages, I thought it would be fun to serve up "Dark and Stormy" cocktails or "Bloody Mary's" only because they sounds scary, and maybe include some spicy olives and pop corn flavored with exotic spices like cumin and paprika as something different and weirdly delicious.

I think the décor and atmosphere would be a big part of making a spooky grown-up bash a success. Throwing such a party at night would be ideal, with lots of huge, scary carved pumpkin jack-o-lanterns all around your home, and a few really large and spooky Halloween inspired decorations hanging strategically around, like an enormous spider crawling up your stiars, and a ghost and skeleton that could dangle in doorways or windows, hide in a corner or on a porch or even under a table! Placing candles or jack-o-lanterns near mirrors looks cool and kind of spooky in the dark too, because the light reflects but also wavers and looks haunting.

You could give out grown-up goody bags too, including items like vampire teeth and glow sticks, weird glasses, witch hats and fake blood, to help get your guests in the mood. I think this all sounds so fun and I hope that one day soon I get around to throwing a scary Halloween party for our adult friends to enjoy it all!

Do you have any ideas for some spooky grown-up fun? Have you ever thrown a grown-up Halloween bash?

© iStockphoto.com/ DNY59

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Cool!
Yes we have & it was tons of fun :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

No I havent but it would be fun to do

Rushn311
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I haven't thrown any. It doesn't seem like any of my friends around would attend one but I woild love to throw a party for my kids friends

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I am going to a grown up Halloween party this weekend.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

cool.

yes we have.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM
We're not at that stage of life yet... But I think we're having a few families over for dinner before we TOT together.

I love some of these ideas... Blood cake? Chicken feet? I would totally come to your creepy party. :-)
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM
A photo booth with a bunch of crazy props.
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

fun! i've had a surprise halloween party for DH...well only a few of us dressed up since no one know LOL

Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My friend and I planned one a few years ago.  It didn't end up happening, but we sure had fun planning.  Our big activity was a scavenger hunt around town.  The spookiest item to be found was a certain gravestone.  We told them which cemetary and the name that had to be found.  They were to do a rubbing of it on their paper to prove they found it.  We also had things like, How many trees are in front of this business, coaster from a specific bar, stuff like that.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds fun...We havent thrown one...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN