Group Home

Smarter Shopping: 10 Healthier Halloween Treats

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

I know, I know, Halloween is not at all about being healthy. It's about dressing up and going around the neighborhood with friends, and being spooky and silly and getting lots of sweet treats kids get to enjoy for a long time. But, since my kid has severe food allergies (lots of them), I have to read every single label and sensor every treat she gets, and it strikes me that so much candy must get thrown out every year, if nothing else because every kid around would have a million cavities each November otherwise. And this got me thinking that if some of the treats were healthier, maybe kids could hang onto and enjoy even MORE of them.

Serving up healthier treats does not have to be totally boring. Think of all the things your kids enjoy each day that are delicious but also not 90% sugar, like the things you probably give them for school snacks. Those make great treats too, I think. Here is my list of our favorite healthier (and more allergen friendly) Halloween treats you could consider including this year for your kids and neighbors:

1) Granola Bars with chocolate chips or dried berries

2) Small boxes of dried fruit like raisins, craisins, apples, mangos or cherries

3) Fresh apples (wrap these in cellophane so they don't get tossed and stay fresher)

4) Snack-packs of things like honey grahams, cheddar bunnies, veggie puffs, Pirate Booty, pretzels and any other snacks made from grains that come in small packets and kids love

5) Fruit roll-ups, fruit strips or fruit rope

6) Gummy candies with vitamin C

7) Oatmeal cookies

8) Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds

9) I know this sounds insane, but seaweed packs or kale chips - all the kids I know are addicted to these healthy, salty snacks right now

10) Small boxes of chocolate milk, strawberry milk or vanilla milk. It's sweet but hey, at least it's got lots of protein too.

I also like to include non-food items in goody bags that anyone can enjoy, regarless of any health or dietary restrictions, such as tattoos, cheap costume jewelry like spider rings or beaded necklaces, stickers, glow in the dark items (whatever is on sale), and small toys you can buy in large packs that kids enjoy like yo-yos, dice, fun pens or pencils, noise-makers, balloons, small bouncy balls, and other things you can find in a 25 cent vending machine, for instance.

Do you hand out any healthier Halloween treats, and non-food treats, or do you stick with traditional candy?

© iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM
As someone who has a kid that hates candy. I'm very grateful for this list, I wish candy alternatives would catch on. Personally I hand out toys this year I have flashlights, play dough, Glow sticks squishy balls, frisbees, and stuffed animals.

We were at a Halloween festival tonight and one of the booths gave out water bottles she was so excited talked about it until she fell asleep.
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I like the fruit snacks idea!!
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We don't get any trick or treaters, but we're giving my DD's friend a mini Monster High notebook and pen instead of candy.

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I hand out mini chocolate bars. Not the healthiest! But it's one day a year...

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

We dont hand out candy .. but if we did .. these are some great ideas !!

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I love those ideas.

We don't hand out candy on Halloween night. I tend to stick to traditional when giving treats to the classrooms at school and things like that.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't hand out anything. We volunteer at the Community center for a big party. That's where everyone goes, including people from other areas.

sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Some of those sound good, but the ones that you make yourself, I wouldnt' want my kids to get, especially if I didn't know that person. I would want the candy to be something wrapped from the store.

sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I like the granola bar idea. And I love when my kids get pretzels. That's something I know they will be using.

wandep
I luv Disney :)
Yesterday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

We are usually out trick or treating while others are trick or treating. So we don't hand out candy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky