Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Storage - yay or nay?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM
  • 31 Replies

Do you have food storage? If so, how much do you have? What are the 10 most important things you think you should have stored up?

When we moved to where we live now, 8 years ago, the people that helped uload one of our moving vans joked that we could have put the small town, local grocery store out of business with how much food we had. Since then we've had some pretty tight times and our food storage isn't nearly what it was, but I thank the heavens that we had it or there would have been some days/weeks where we wouldn't have had anything to eat. I'm the oldest of 9 children and a rather poor family and my mom had food in every empty place she could find in the house to make sure we could eat. I guess some of that wore off on me.

So, how bout you. What do you think of food storage and how do you do it?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ravenseeyore
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM

We don't have as much as we did when the kids were younger.  I grew up in South Dakota where during the winterwe always made sure we had enough food in the house to get through 3-5 days in case we got snowed in.  We have lived in FL for 8 years and I still prefer to keep canned foods and bottled water to last us 3-7 days just in case.  The only difference is the time of year. 

Same kinds of supplies, food, first aid kit, pet food.

Krist10
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:34 AM

We have a much smaller house than the one we moved from and now that our supplies are getting low and we've got a bit of extra money to put back into storage, I'm trying to decide what's really important to have on hand vs. what would be nice to have. I read somewhere that chocolate (M&Ms or something like that) is a necessity to keep momma happy during emergency times so she can keep her cool. I'd never thought of that before, but I've had days where chocolate definitely kept me from killing something.

thebailiffs
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM

We have a walk in pantry and lots of cub board space.  We do have some, but my husband likes having things to cook with so we are not always running to the store.  

Here are things that are important: veggies, Tuna, pasta, condiments, a small amount of carbs, sauces and salad dressings. 

childofgod04
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM
We have some but not as much as we had at our old house. We've lived in this house for almost a year and never restocked I guess.
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I do have a supply of basics, chicken stock, pasta, pasta sauce, some canned goods, food in the freezer, cereal, snacks for the kids.  When its on sale and I have coupons for it, I will buy and stock up.  We did have to add extra shelves to organize our food but it is not too crazy. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

yeah it helps to not go too crazy

Quoting momofnatalie:

I do have a supply of basics, chicken stock, pasta, pasta sauce, some canned goods, food in the freezer, cereal, snacks for the kids.  When its on sale and I have coupons for it, I will buy and stock up.  We did have to add extra shelves to organize our food but it is not too crazy. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

wow a year?? how did u manage that?

Quoting childofgod04:

We have some but not as much as we had at our old house. We've lived in this house for almost a year and never restocked I guess.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

for me i have to have LOTS of carbs...

Quoting thebailiffs:

We have a walk in pantry and lots of cub board space.  We do have some, but my husband likes having things to cook with so we are not always running to the store.  

Here are things that are important: veggies, Tuna, pasta, condiments, a small amount of carbs, sauces and salad dressings. 

childofgod04
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I mean we haven't built up a stock pile yet. We just buy what we need when we run out.

Quoting aneela:

wow a year?? how did u manage that?

Quoting childofgod04:

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I have some but not enough for a few days 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)