Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: Getting ready for holiday guests?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Have you had the talk yet? Not the one with your seven-year-old about the birds and the bees, I'm talking the one with your sister (or mom or everyone in the family) about who is traveling and who is hosting all of the various holiday events this year...and come to find out you are going to have houseguests for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe you've chatted with your BFF from high school who always comes and stays with you for your annual winter party. 

When guests come to stay - whether your Uncle Dave or your mom or that dear family friend, it takes a little bit of planning on your end. Why not take a look now - well before the controlled mayhem of the holidays kicks in - to get everything you need for your out-of-towers to feel at home. 

-- Clear out space. I know most of us use those rooms where guests stay as also playrooms or offices, so take time now to clean up (and possible purge) some of that clutter that's been building for months (since last holiday season, perhaps?). Make some extra space in that hall closet for guests' coats, as well as in the dressers in the room where your guests will be staying. Move some items around to clear off side tables.

-- Look over towels and linens. Look over and set aside some piles of clean linens and towels. I read a great idea that you have one or two sets of each that you just use for guests. That way they are always fresh and nice.

-- Snag some needs. You know someone is going to forget something. Stock up on a few extra toothbrushes, floss, hair ties, deodorant or shampoo. Have them in a little basket ready to go.

-- Make a handy list of house info. From where to find more toilet paper to how to work the remote control on the TV or that fancy coffee maker, print up some detailed info so your guests won't feel like they are bothering you with questions every two minutes. It will save you and them some sanity.

-- Print up some extra keys. Maybe your parents will take the kids out for a bit (which means you get to take a nap!). Why not have extra sets of keys handy so everyone can feel like they can come and go as they please?

Will you have houseguests in the coming months? What things do you need to get ready for visitors?

ŠiStockphoto.com/BCFC

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Yes for TG &  we're working on getting ready :)

twnkedee
by Tia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM

We have people stay throughout the year this is helpful tips for anytime not just holiday time! Thanks for posting!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Good tips! We won't be having out of town guests, but I like this for future events too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I get stuck hosting all the holidays, but we won't be having any overnight guests.  I don't have to do any major prep work except for shampooing the rugs.

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My brother might come up for DD's bday in November. I need to do a deep cleaning. 

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We never have anyone stay over night .. but if we did these are great tips !

Bambooflute
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

It's very nice of you with these kind tips,thank you!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM

DH and I spend a night in the guest room to see if anything needs to be added. I put out candies, and a basket of small shampoos and other toiletries.

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We won't have anyone spending the night but will have about 20 guest for Thanksgiving.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No houseguests in the near future..My mom might be coming in the spring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci